Another reason to buy NRS! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-25-2007   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Another reason to buy NRS!

So I have been having problems with my NRS Drytop, this is the second one actually I have had problems with and the guys over at NRS just did a great job replacing my top with little problems. I sent it in, they called to see what I wanted to do, they asked what color I wanted and sent a brand new top right out. I was out of town for a week and they got this all done while I was gone so no down time for me without a top. Anyway props to NRS and how they treat their customers, it's nice to see a company that takes care of their business. NRS I will stick by your side!!

P the K

Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007   #2

artist
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
NRS has some pretty good people.
ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Seems like you should just buy a kokatat and not worry about sending it back cause it wont have issues
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Seems like you should just buy a kokatat and not worry about sending it back cause it wont have issues
Totally agree. Nrs has good service, but everyone I know with that dry top has been impressed with how quickly they get them replaced, not how good they are.

My kokatat is the dryest top I've had. I recently tore a three inch rip in its shoulder (and mine); they are fixing it for $16 and getting it back in 2 weeks.

Just to be clear, I think anything short of armor plating would have ripped.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #5

I'm a little pissed about my Kokatat right now. I dropped over four bills on that thing earlier this spring and the neck gasket just blew. It's got less than 20 days on it and I've taken very good care of it, the gasket isn't too small, etc. We'll see if they warranty it or not. It's been a week and a half without a drytop and I'm still very sore about the topic. Praise will soon be posted if they warranty. Rage if they make me pay for a gasket replacement on a barely used top.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #6

PeakUK

I think you guys should check out Peak UK. This stuff is bomber, no need to worry about bad gear. And you get factory direct pricing. Ken Driscoll has been great to work with.
h20bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #7
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
NRS Rocks

NO company stands behind their gear more than NRS. I'm impressed more each year we work with them. They listen to folks and it shows.

Kokatat is great gear for sure. But, their retail prices are high and their margins are low. With an ever price competitive market. It's not always profitable to bring them in.

Palm UK, I love their stuff. And, am a dealer. But... it was recalled and delayed again this year. They go years at a time on back orders. They have constant delays in production, and we constantly have to send entire runs back for production mistakes. When the get their stuff together they have a great product. The company has QC issues.

PS: no one warrenties latex gaskets. It could break on the 1st or 401st day of useage. Nature of the material. How old was the jacket when you bought it? Drytops are bombshells sitting on the rack- they just are. They dry-rot and breakdown over time- sunlight- wind- whatever... they're timebombs.

This is where the drytop market needs to be going. Latexless neck gaskets, something more comfortable and just as dry. With flex, movement, durability. Just one more thing on my wishlist.
Old 06-26-2007   #8

I would definitely think buying a top which does not have issues in the first place is the best way to go. Kokatat, IR and the old Lotus are obviously much higher quality than NRS. ALL NRS gear is of a slightly lower quality than other higher end companies. That's why shop owners like Don love it cause its cheap and they make big margins. With that said it is crucial that companies stand behind their products. Luckily for them many people who buy NRS only use it once in a while so it does'nt wear out and get tested. They are obviously very smart for standing behind those type of products. When Lotus had defective tops they pulled every one of them off the market, I could never see NRS doing that, they would rely on people only using their gear once in a while and having great customer service. I think NRS is a great example of a successful whitewater company(which is rare) and am not dogging them at all. Clearly they do not make top of the line gear though.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #9

Golden, Colorado
I don't think it is so clear that NRS doesn't make top of the line stuff. If it is not top of the line I think it is close enough. I never had a problem with my NRS drytop and it cost 50% of what a kokotat would have. I'm buying another one. The other one was in great shape after 2 seasons but it ended up getting cut off of me. NRS is the only drytop I'm considering...the price is awesome and I think the quality is high enough. I wear a PFD and elbow pads when I paddle so there really isn't that much dry top exposed to abuse anyways.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
I wasnt really looking to stir the pot on this but it looks like I did. Honestly we are lucky to have such great companies competing for our business. I love the people at NRS. Never had a bad experience with them. I did however shell out the cash for the kokatat rogue and compared to the other tops I have used. It was impressive and worth the xtra dollars