Another possible fatality on the Arkansas - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2008   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Another possible fatality on the Arkansas

One of my boating buddies called me this afternoon and told me that they came upon a floater below House Rock but above BV this afternoon when running the Fractions. I guess my roomate provided CPR to the man who was unresponsive and beaten up pretty good, but upon arrival of the EMS they were able to find a weak pulse before transporting him off scene. From what I understand the man was in his 60's or 70's and was kayaking the Numbers when he went for a swim, after extricating himself from the river he re-entered the water to retrieve his paddle and was flushed downstream. I don't know how much of what happened prior to his being found is true, but I feel for you guys that found him and know him.
I pray that he survives.
If any of you guys that were on that Fractions run read this, provide us with some more details so that we can all learn from this unfortunate situation. I would have been on that trip today if I hadn't been in Summit County...

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Sad news

Denied:1up! Software
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
This is the article that was in this morning's Mountain Mail:

Kayaker dies north of BV
A 70-year old kayaker died Sunday afternoon in a section of Arkansas River known as the Magnificent Mile north of Buena Vista.

Volker Beer, of Tucson, Ariz., was kayaking with a friend at 11:45 a.m. about six miles north of Buena Vista, Randy Amettis, Chaffee County Coroner said.

Other details of how Beer died were not made available by Chaffee County Sheriff's Office officials. By 8 p.m., a phone message asking for information was not returned and a dispatcher said the office would issue a press release today.

At 3:45 p.m. Sunday, river flow, which is nearing seasonal peak, was 3,270 cubic feet per second at the Granite measuring device.

The death Sunday was the third fatality on the river in six days and was the fourth of the rafting season.

A 61-year old Woodland Park man died Thursday when the raft in which he was a passenger hit the center pier of the F Street bridge in Salida and flipped. The man was pulled from the river about a mile downstream where rescuers began life saving efforts.

Tuesday, a 67-year old Illinois man died when the raft in which he was riding flipped in Pinball Rapid at the north end of Browns Canyon.

May 25, a 26-year old Kansas man died at Sledge Hammer Falls Rapid in the Royal Gorge when the raft in which he was riding overturned.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008   #4

Erie, Colorado
This is sad news indeed. I put on with a crew at the railroad bridge around 10 yesterday so they were right behind us. After personally taking a beating in house rock at the end, just a reminder for everyone to be as safe as they can be. The water right now is super fun, but obviously has some huge consequences too.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #5

Erie, Colorado
I'm pretty sure he didn't get out of the water until he was pulled out at the playpark around 2 or 2:30 yesterday. The water was surely pushy enough in the narrows to make the swim last a long long time which is very unfortunate.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #6

Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I am very sad to hear this. I was paddling Numbers through the Fractions with some of the Pikes Peak Boys. We had a great time. It definately takes most of that good feeling away to hear someone died.

As I sat at the bottom of five some BLM guys in truck signalled me to see if we were OK. I was thinking, " how did they know I got I bit off-line". This explains what was going on.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #7
J

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Very sad indeed.

Does anyone else feel that they keep reading and hearing about fatalities where the victim initially got out of the water and was thought to be OK, and then fell back in/went back in the river for one reason or another?
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
Very sad indeed.

Does anyone else feel that they keep reading and hearing about fatalities where the victim initially got out of the water and was thought to be OK, and then fell back in/went back in the river for one reason or another?
This is common in river fatality accounts. I'm no Doc./EMT but understand that after a tough swim the combination of adrenaline, exhaustion, hypothermia mount against the body as shock sets in. It's important for folks to learn from this phenominon. After a swim stay down and concentrate on calming your heart rate. I'm sure more qualified folks could comment on other things to do...

Be safe.
chris
Old 06-23-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Very sad. 3 fatalities in less than 1 week. My condolences to all

Be safe out there
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #10

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
How many people have died on the Arkansas this year?

Tags
ark, arkansas