Another Phantom hike in question. - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2008   #1

Student
Another Phantom hike in question.

I'm hiking into Phantom and have to carry my own raft in. Has anyone done this before? On a serious note, I'm hiking down by myself to join my kayak that the rafters carried down the river for me. Do I need some sort of permit on my person when hiking the trail? I have the park pass and assume that I leave that on my dash? Any info would be great. Thanks, Atom....

atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008   #2

San Diego and Frisco, CO
You can walk in sans a permit, but don't sleep anywhere - need a permit to camp. Go early, buy a beer or lemonade at Phantom Ranch (the beer hall part). Take your small raft, its a long trail! Actually one is short (Kaibab), one is longer. Take your ID, rangers may check you into your trip at the river...or not.
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
ditto, just go down as early as you want. We just met someone who waited til the office opened (plus an hour for AZ's personal timezone) to find out that he could have started whenever. He ended up hiking down in the heat of the morning. Ouch.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008   #4

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
watch the sunrise

Hey, Atom. Generally it is against their regulations to swap out members during the trip. I recommend keeping a low profile. Especially around Phantom Rangers. Don't let them know what you're up to. You may be asked to show ID and they'll check against permits. That said, if all you have is a back pack, and the rest is already being floated down, you probably won't attract attention.

I recommend an early start down the trail so that you can watch the sunrise from about half way down in the canyon. It should be magnificent. You'll also want to get to shade and the cooler temps near the water before the day heats up. The hike down is fairly strenuous (certainly not as much ascending though), so its best not to carry too much weight. Watch your footing, too. It could be easy to be distracted looking around and stumble off the edge. (Deaths occur every year on the trails and rims there.) There is a nice shady tree waiting for you just under the bridge at Phantom. I great place to chill until your crew shows up. It is a great trip and a great entry method. You'll appreciate the memories of hiking down for the start of your Grand experience.

Cheers!
Ken
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It is not at all against the rules to exchange at Phantom. You just have to give your exchange info to the Parks Service. If the Park Service catches you doing an exchange and it's not scheduled, then you're busted.

Don't worry about your exchange at Phantom, and have fun!
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
It most definitely is not against the regs to swap members at Phantom. The park even puts out a calendar about exchanges at Phantom so folks can plan their use of camps before their exchange. Totally OK. I wouldn't expect to run into any rangers, but definitely have your ID anyways.
Old 09-24-2008   #7

Student
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonEJ View Post
It is not at all against the rules to exchange at Phantom. You just have to give your exchange info to the Parks Service. If the Park Service catches you doing an exchange and it's not scheduled, then you're busted.

Don't worry about your exchange at Phantom, and have fun!
Thanks everyone for the responses. CanyonEJ, can i park right at the Bright Angel trailhead for my hike down. Two folks are hiking out that day and will be taking my car. Thanks again, Atom...
Old 09-24-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. CanyonEJ, can i park right at the Bright Angel trailhead for my hike down. Two folks are hiking out that day and will be taking my car. Thanks again, Atom...
Yeah, I'm sure that's fine. I've parked there for day hikes, and I wouldn't hesitate for overnight trips either.

If you stay on the main road just past the Bright Angel Lodge, look for a brown road sign on the right pointing to Bright Angel Parking. It's a dirt parking lot hidden behind some of the cabins people can stay in. Maybe you know that, but just in case you don't there's often parking there when there is none elsewhere... and it's right at the trailhead.

And I haven't seen a ranger at the boat beach all summer, but be ready.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #9

Yeah!

......and Atom......don't get your car stuck in the mud before the hike. Don't forget your paddling gear. And don't turn this thread into an angry name calling thread, or I might just make you TAP OUT! Have fun and get refinanced. Plane to Ecuador is leaving soon!
P
pagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #10

Student
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagel View Post
......and Atom......don't get your car stuck in the mud before the hike. Don't forget your paddling gear. And don't turn this thread into an angry name calling thread, or I might just make you TAP OUT! Have fun and get refinanced. Plane to Ecuador is leaving soon!
P
Pagel,
Thankfully the rafts will have my gear, the mud is all fate. Refinancing soon, if all goes well, Ecuador over x-mas. I'll be paddling the Grand in Mitchel's memory, RIP...
ps, as for the name calling thing, I'll start. When we had all our protective gear on for dirtbiking last time you were here. The ladies were calling Joe, Steve and I, Power Rangers. As you suited up and wandered (waddeled) over, they (loving) called out, "Ninja Turtle" has joined the team. And ya, you could TAP me OUT, but ya gotta catch me first. See ya soon, Atom....