Another Noob Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2009   #1

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Another Noob Question

So I just got my first raft today. I did a couple of trips last year with friends and an outfitter, and I seem to recall that virtually everything was labelled. Is that a regulation, or do the rafting companies do that for advertising and to make sure they get their boats back? I thought I heard someone said you HAD to label your stuff.

Assuming it's a regulation, what's the best way to do it? Sharpie? Paint pen of some sort? Is there anything that could degrade the material (Hypalon)?

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I don't believe it is a regulation, but it is good if you want to get any lost gear returned to you when you flip, or to help the authorities locate you or at least know who they are looking for if your boat turns up without you (also saves on search and rescue being called to look for you). A sharpie will work just fine. I put my name, address, phone # and e-mail on my raft and bigger items. Paddles and smaller items get a name and phone #.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #3

another hint: color your strap buckles and put initials on them. Pick your color then check for your initials. A must for big multidays or your straps will migrate to other owners.lol
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #4

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The ranger at the put in for Brown's on the Ark MADE us put our name and number on our boat, said we couldnt launch without it. However, that is the one and only time a ranger has said that. Rangers have checked for gear and permits on many other trips but have never said anything about having my boat labeled. I wouldnt worry about it but it is a good idea to have your equipment labeled.
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #5

labeling your unregistered boat is a requirement in state parks, even on lakes.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote