Another big guy boat question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2007   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Another big guy boat question

I'm in the market for a new boat. I've been paddling a pyranha stretch M/L that isn't enough play and... well not my size.

I'm 204 lbs., 6'2 and have 11.5 treads. I've lost 10 lbs so far, hoping to lose 10 more.

I'm thinking the Jackson 4fun is my top option. I'm looking for a good river/play boat. Anyone else my size out there recommend one? I thought about the Pyranha 420 m/l but haven't been in one on the river.

J

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I am about 10lbs under you and the same size and recently put my kingpin up for sale and bought the 420. I like it. Try it out if you liked the pyranha outfitting.

Not sponsored by anyone including pyranha.
Old 03-06-2007   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
gh:

Honestly that was my biggest complaint about the stretch. It just wasn't wide enough for my 34-36 inch waist. I struggle with cramping every time I get in the boat. I bought it on a whim, and it seemed like I could fix it... but I still have trouble getting the outfitting to work for me.

Is the 420 wide enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
If you ever paddled and liked the ZG, the Project is much more well balanced in my opinion. I wouldn't call it a real river runner, but if you want to make the river your playground, it might not be a bad choice. Your're feet and build would probably put you in a Project 62, which could be on the large size.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Its not really a wide boat but if you keep the hip pads high then it fits me fine. I think outfitting and comfort is key. If your not happy in pyranhas then go sit in a big agent. its very roomy and doesnt seem to leak at all. Dagger should be congratulated for fixing that problem.
Old 03-06-2007   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
I'll look into the agent as well. Is anyone paddling a Jackson 4fun?
Old 03-07-2007   #7

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Jeffy,

I do work for Jackson... just to get that out of the way.

The 07 4fun is a kick in the pants, and super comfy.

At 200+, I am thinking you are just about right, but they are bigger than last years mold.

If you are in/around Boulder, I would gladly let you borrow mine for a pool sesh.

PM me if you have questions or want to borrow it.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #8

The 4FUN is gay.

To support my statement:
Quote:
The 07 4fun is a kick in the pants,
No, seriously, the 4FUN is a good boat. My props to you guys.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #9

Project 62 Feedback

I am 6' 4" and have a size 15 shoe ... yea that sucks and to make it a bit worse...

I weight 185lbs... So no boats that I fit into are the right size. Even though every boating company boasts about how thier big boats are not just blown up versions of the small boats, I have yet to find truth to that.

The big boats are just that inflated versions of the little ones. Hopefully soon a boat will come out that was designed to not just fit big people but fit them with performance in mind.

The only boat I have ever had that fit me right was an Air 55 that I molded the bow on. Unfortunatly it cracked about a year later from use. I am convinced that until boating companies actually start making lower volume boats that fit bigger guys the only solution to this common problem that I have will be custom outfitting and molding on a smaller model that has the right fit.

I am currently in the Project 62 and at my weight it is more of a creeker than a playboat. I can play around with it and all, but cartwheels are hard to get the back around in a smooth motion. The stern on the 62 is just way way too big. At least for me.

theprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Professor have you tried a fluid flirt? the large is 55 gallons and it fits me really well (6'5" 205).
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote