Ammo vs Fun - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2008   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ammo vs Fun

Hey great feedback, thanks guys. How about a Ammo vs the Jackson Fun as a first boat if I am 5'8" and 145. I want to do III and IV with some big H2O.
THX!

marcellern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008   #2

asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1997
Ammo

The Ammo is cool if you like running big water because it tends to not get stern squirted. The Fun is more of a playboat with sliceier ends for initiating the bow and stern for tricks, possible in flatwater. Also, may put your feet up over your head sometimes when you don't want to. As a 1st boat, either would be a fine choice and equally easy to learn everything in. River running boats like the Burn and Ammo, which is like a smaller Burn with a playboat hull for surfing, however, limit you in the freestyle department, especially in flatwater.
Team Pyranha Blog
demshitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3

Looking at an ammo myself. Why would I choose the Burn over the Ammo? Advantages besides speed. Looking for a boat to compliment my 420 when it gets big this year.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008   #4

Sorry for hijacking your thread there. I have demoed both the Ammo and the Jackson- demshitz hit the nail right on the head.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #5

Medium Ammo

marcellern you would probably like the medium Ammo with your ambition to use it more as a big H20 river runner.
Old 05-09-2008   #6

Burn or Ammo

Longer boats seem easier to roll. They don't swirl around as much when you are setting up. The Ammo is an awesome boat if you already have a good roll and you already know you like paddling something with a shorter bow because of its ease of manueverability. Stable, but you gotta know those edges. It forces you to learn good boat control, which is good, but be ready to do some rolling as a first boat. Really fun for paddling aggressively, surfing, spinning, and crazy stuff like looping HUGE, and freewheels. Also fun for familiar runs, grabbing tight eddies, like a play boat with some body armor.
The Burn makes it easier to route through whitewater and roll. And has a dynamic design with softer edges, that makes it easy to drive and accelerate through rapids, rather than just float through. Which can be really important when you are trying to get to where you need to be in whitewater. Good example is the Pine Creek rapid on the Arkansas in Colorado. You like those edges when you skirt past that bad boy!
Your height and weight, Medium Burn. AND I paddle Medium Burn on everything and I weigh 145 5'4'' and put a little foam under my seat. When you outfit the boat try to imagine paddling and keeping your elbows from hitting the cockpit rim and your knees up past the thigh braces. Hope this helps.
Team Pyranha Blog
Old 05-09-2008   #7

that was from a previous thread with Marcellern
Old 05-09-2008   #8

heres the link to it.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...mmo-18272.html

A lot of good feedback on this topic.
Old 05-09-2008   #9

paddle fest

Paddle fest will be a great place to try all the New models and receive a Free Clinic with Team Paddlers from each company. Team Pyranha will be doing clinics on playboating and river running.

Demos

Team Pyranha Blog
Old 05-09-2008   #10
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a M Ammo and a Fun I like the Ammo much better than the FUN. It rolls SO much easier than the Fun. I am 185 and 5-8. The Fun is strictly a play boat for me. The Ammo is just a killer boat all arround it surfs it punches holes and it handles well. I think it is the best boat I have ever owned.