American Airlines vs Delta - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
American Airlines vs Delta

What experiences does does everyone have with these two airlines flying with creekboats to Central and South America? I need to get a creekboat to Colombia. I've travelled successfully with Delta but it's been a few years, who has had recent experience. Gimme your feedback

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010   #2

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Use Continental Airlines. I heard they also have the best pilots around.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Continental

yeah continental is the shit they took my boat to costa rica over christmas this year during a bag embargo.. and it was free cuz i'm in the military but i dont think it would have been over a hundred dollars if i wasn't.. plus i put all my gear in my boat with the skirt and a little cardboard and duct tape on it. great deal on the way back i got some kids in the airport to wrap it with cellophane and that made it and my paddle one bag.. it was awesome..

Another vote for Continental
C12Charles.Nobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010   #4
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
¡puta madre! ¿cuando vas a colombia?
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #5

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwest View Post
What experiences does does everyone have with these two airlines flying with creekboats to Central and South America? I need to get a creekboat to Colombia. I've travelled successfully with Delta but it's been a few years, who has had recent experience. Gimme your feedback
From Tango; Mother fu#k! When are you going to Columbia?
Old 01-08-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
interesting that people are having good experiences on Continental...I have been turned away with a playboat to costa rica before. flat out no way, had to leave the boat at home. how about some quality advice, or doesnt anyone go anywhere other than costa rica with continental? tango, two weeks, its on!
bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #7
addict

Golden, Colorado
here's the move:

find the ticket you want to buy, call the airline and tell them you aren't buying it unless you can bring your "specialty sports equipment," and pay for it or get some sort of confirmation to this effect. make sure you wrap the boat up and it weighs under 50 pounds. i'm pretty sure this is how huntey got his boat through DIA with continental. i didn't call ahead when i flew out of newark with continental but i pre-paid online for a 2nd or 3rd bag.

i got a paddle bag if you need it also.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #8

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
here's the move:

find the ticket you want to buy, call the airline and tell them you aren't buying it unless you can bring your "specialty sports equipment," and pay for it or get some sort of confirmation to this effect. make sure you wrap the boat up and it weighs under 50 pounds. i'm pretty sure this is how huntey got his boat through DIA with continental. i didn't call ahead when i flew out of newark with continental but i pre-paid online for a 2nd or 3rd bag.

i got a paddle bag if you need it also.
Yes, that is correct, also under 115 inches and 50 lbs.max.
Old 01-10-2010   #9

Ft. Collins, Colorado
also, don't use the word kayak. a few decades ago there was a bunch of fiberglass slalom boats that got broken in transit, so "kayaks" were blacklisted by the industry. i try and find a sympathetic-looking check-in person and tell them that "it usually goes as a surfboard," have never had any problems on any airline i've flown with (alaska, continental, united, american). and don't forget to smile
xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #10

Rotorua, NZ
just give the check-in lady the ol' ben creepy eyes and I am sure you will be in like Flynn. Have fun down there bro wish I could make it down there with you guys, I can't that Scott, Dan and you will have ANY sort of fun in Columbia! Bastards
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote