Am I Screwed? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2013   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Am I Screwed?

I just bought my first playboat, a brand new Dagger Agent 6.0, which fits and feels great (hell of a lot better than my Ultrafuge).The specs say that recommended weight is up to 145lbs. I weigh 165, but in the summer generally drop down to about 155. How big of an impact is that going to make and what problems am I going to run in to? Did I screw myself?

TheKenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
you probably need a bigger boat. you should be in the middle of the weight range for the boat you paddle, not well out of it.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
If you are just going to use it for a playboat at the playpark you will probably will be ok and you will be able to throw it around and initiate moves alot easier. If you are planning on running the rio in it it will probably feel squirly and not real stable. my 2 cents
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
That's exactly what I am using it for! Thanks!
TheKenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #5

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I agree with ccombs. It's definitely going to be a bit small, but nothing you can't begin learning the basics in.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You don't mention your height, or what type of rivers you like to run when you're not at the park.

Here's a thread that discusses the boundary between the Agent 6.2 and Agent 6.4, the same rationale would apply for you. If you're hoping for more park and play performance, the smallest you can comfortably fit would be idea. If you want river runnability, err toward all day comfort and the bigger boat.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ent-25347.html

If you're already comfortable running your local rio in your Ultrafuge, the new one won't be much more difficult. The Ultrafuge was considered a playboat...12 years ago. You're losing a little hull length and speed with the Agent. If you're not quite comfortable running in your previous boat, you might find the Agent feels a bit edgy. The little Rx (6.7) would be worth watching for. Should perform somewhat like the Ultrafuge but be a lot more comfortable.

I have long legs and Dagger really made a huge jump forward in comfort with the Agents and Rx's.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I remember reading a Jesse Coombs article where he extols the use of playboats that are on the small side for you. The basic thesis is that it makes everything harder, which makes you a better boater.

I would say this boat is not the ideal size for you, but if it's comfortable and you're just doing park and play, it will be fine. Use it for a while and then trade it for something larger when you get tired of it. If you're a beginner playboater, then you will find it advantageous in that it will be easy to initiate ends in a small boat. However, I think in general you want to be roughly in the middle of the weight range for a playboat. In that range it will be fairly easy to initiate and you will benefit from the extra pop that the volume gives you, and of course makes it more forgiving downriver.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I weigh 250 and was well over the performance weight for every playboat and squirt boat I ever had.
I always had 2 boats... Godzilla for running stuff and a bunch of different playboats at different times for throwing ends.
Worked for me.