Alpacka Rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2007   #1

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Alpacka Rafts

Howdy-

I have been looking at buying an alpacka raft (alpackaraft.com), and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these boats.

Thanks,
Ron

RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007   #2

Somewhere on, Earth
Take a look at this discussion https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ayak-9947.html
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #3

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Aha-- thanks.

So anybody actually own one of these things?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007   #4
EP

My brother and some of his buddies own Alpacka Rafts. I know that they love them. You can e-mail him at [email protected] He takes them everywhere and they seem to hold up and preform well.
Good luck, Eleanor
EP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #5

Boulder, Colorado
In 2005 we passed a fella doing the Escalante (down in Grand Staircase), multiday desert float. Lots of sharp russian olive trees in the water, lots of rock scraping, etc. They must be pretty rugged, we certainly put some wear on our duckies. He was pretty happy at the 4 pound weight looking up the sand hill at Coyote Wash.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
one of our clients took one on the rio espolon. we called it the raft tub. i wouldn't take one on more than class III.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007   #7

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Thanks for the info. Emailed skeperry and thought i'd post the reply in case anybody else was interested:

Dear Ron
I am the proud owner of not one, but three Alpacka rafts. They are the
Destoyers of my Navy. I have nothing but good things to say about them. My friends and I have abused them and they seem to like it. On all acounts they are serious whitewater exploration vehicels, weighing in at around 4lbs they make the hike in alot more fun. If you like to do wilderness trips this is the boat for you. Try not to think of it as a "light kayak" because you will be let down by the lack of edge control. BUt it can be paddled through some heavy water. The person to talk to is Sherri at Alpacka raft. She is the owner/operator/designer of alpacka boats and a wonderfull person who understands river running. She is also working on some new models. Good luck hope to see you out on the water. Go to
www.alpackaraft.com to order your boat today. I am 6'1" and I like the big model.
All best Sam

>From: "Ron Treefoil" <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: alpacka rafts
>Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:55:41 -0600
- Hide quoted text -
>
>Hello,
>
>My name is Ron, I got your email from your sister Eleanor on the Mountain Buzz forums
>(https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ts-12543.html).
>I am curious about purchasing an Alpacka and wanted to talk to someone who owned one before I did. What do you use your boat for, and how does it do? I am looking for an all around sort of vessel for hard to access wilderness on any class of river. Much appreciated, no problem if you don't have time to answer.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron Treefoil
Old 03-25-2007   #8

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Also found this site, for the interested:

Alaska Trekking

A couple who have done some wild, far out Alpacka trips in AK, combining hiking, river running, and pseudo sea kayaking. They have an eight month expedition coming up, from Puget sound to the Bering Sea...

Also a couple YouTube videos:

Ron
Old 03-26-2007   #9

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
pack rafts

Who are these guys? Four thousand miles, why? Props out to their huge sense of adventure and great Photography. I can't believe people like this still exist! Pack some food for pete's sake. The rafts do look perfect for the job. It's hard to belive they only weigh 4lbs. They must be tough. For anyone who is interested there are some great photos of these rafts in action on the web at www.alpackaraft.com worth a look. The youtube videos got my gears turning, I think these rafts might be the next generation of remote backcountry paddeling.
bob gnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #10
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob gnarley View Post
Who are these guys? Four thousand miles, why? Props out to their huge sense of adventure and great Photography. I can't believe people like this still exist! Pack some food for pete's sake. The rafts do look perfect for the job. It's hard to belive they only weigh 4lbs. They must be tough. For anyone who is interested there are some great photos of these rafts in action on the web at www.alpackaraft.com worth a look. The youtube videos got my gears turning, I think these rafts might be the next generation of remote backcountry paddeling.

Smells like
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote