Allergy to Cold Water - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Allergy to Cold Water

Hello all,

Long time reader first time poster. I am looking for medical information for an allergy to the cold. I have kayaked for years and have an allergy to the cold (cold urticaria with systemic reations). Luckily my allergy really only seemed to be active for a couple of years and has seemingly been dormant for all the time that I have kayaked (about 7 years). I have though gone into anaphylactic shock three times prior to diognosing this allergy due to swimming at the beach in MA (I learned slow because I really like the beach). Could you all please help me with a few questions:
1. Is there any region around here that would have the best allergy doctors so that I could make an appointment to learn more about my allergy?
2. Does anyone else get really really dizzy when the flip over in cold water? I feel is though I could not walk a straight line. It is probably nothing but reminds me of how I felt before going into shock those times.
3. How long would an epipen stage off anaphylactic shock? ie if I am boating far away from civilization would my symptoms just return as bad as ever after a half hour.

Any information would be helpful. My allergy seems to be gone at least for now but information is always good.

Thanks,

Mike

Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009   #2

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
I dont know if its the same, But from surfing prolonged periods of time in cold water the effect is the same. I have it a little bit but some of my friends have had the surgery. The inner ear actually grows bone or hard cartlidge im not sure over the ear canal. They go in with a drill and drill the canal out. Initially i guess its pretty painful but it works. My buds say their equilibrium is back and they feel like great. Although myself and my other friends put this off due to the thought of the surgery. probably not the best option. Good luck Shawn
caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Epi pens buy a short period of time, and you should carry TWO if you are seriously allergic. Lots of benadryl also, and prednisone, but I'm sure your allergy doc will tell you that. I don't think they say to bank on epi lasting much longer than a half hour or so, so ask your doc. good luck. Shit, carry 4!
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My brother's friend has a cold allergy. Apparently Benadryl and Prednisone don't work for a cold allergy. There are two types of histamines H1 and H2. Apparently Benadryl only works for one type of histamine but to stop a cold allergy both need to be blocked. He takes zyrtec and something else when he knows he's going to be out in the cold.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #5

some of the best allergy docs in the US are right here in Denver at National Jewish. That's where I'd go if I were you. If you're at the point where you're having anaphylactic reactions, it's time to really figure this one out. good luck
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Hey man,

Sorry to hear about your illness. As mentioned above, there are plenty of competent doctors on the front range that you could set up a consultation with and get to the root of this issue. As for taking medical (serious) advice from Mountain Buzz/Boatertalk, I would be very hesitant.

MD, 2013
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
As for taking medical (serious) advice from Mountain Buzz/Boatertalk, I would be very hesitant.

MD, 2013
Oh come on! This is a great place for medical advice. STD's, alcoholism, blood and guts, screw WebMD - it's all right here!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
Hey man,

Sorry to hear about your illness. As mentioned above, there are plenty of competent doctors on the front range that you could set up a consultation with and get to the root of this issue. As for taking medical (serious) advice from Mountain Buzz/Boatertalk, I would be very hesitant.

MD, 2013
Yeah, and he's not even a REAL doctor, not yet. Poser
Old 01-30-2009   #9

Go check out Dr. Bruce Wignall in Eagle-Vail, CO. He performs NAET which eliminate's allergies. He helped me out with allergy issues with great success. He might even recommend someone in your area. But, he is the man.
Old 01-30-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Da View Post
Go check out Dr. Bruce Wignall in Eagle-Vail, CO. He performs NAET which eliminate's allergies. He helped me out with allergy issues with great success. He might even recommend someone in your area. But, he is the man.

Thanks for the info and all the other info out there. I will look into the hospital recomended in denver and look to contact this doctor in Vail. As of now there seems to be no allergy. The highly scientific ice cube test has been negative. Since I have not had much skin reactions I hope that the risk of anaphylaxis is low. I have been not so smart and have not carried an eipen lately as symptoms seem to be nonexistant but I will get one or four right away. I deon't think this has anything to do with my ear, just is a standard allergy but thanks for the advise (and that reminds me to go get some earplugs). Sorry I don't have too much time to respond as I have to work through lunch and catch a flight tonight but will read into this more tommorow.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote