Alaska? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2013   #1

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Alaska?

Hi all,

I am considering moving to Alaska and I am grossly under educated about the paddling opportunities out there. Anyone have any info that they'ld care to share? What is the paddling like out there? Which region of Alaska has the best paddling? Is it all hazardous due to the low temps or are there some decent play spots? Are there a diversity of runs or are they mostly technical with high consequence?

green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
You need to buy this
Fast & Cold, A Guide To Alaska Whitewater: Andrew Embick: 9781560442691: Amazon.com: Books
It is a Andrew Embick guide book. And good one at that. 292 pages of quality guide book. My parents picked one up for me as a present on their trip to Alaska have yet to go but I wouldn't hesitate save some money for the helicopter rides! Kings river sounds fun!

One more thing this is Alaska what you are asking doesnt really exist its a big bad world and this place is about finding you man not just whitewater. Carry some heavy balls and a .44.

Find a local like Andrew and you will be set. Just found this Alaska whitewater budsy
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #3

Bozeman, Montana

Here's the kings river
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Find a local like Andrew and you will be set.
Sadly Andrew is no longer with us.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Wasn't aware. Thanks for letting me know. Never meet him but fuckina the dude was a bad ass.
Old 02-09-2013   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
PM me and we can talk...

I'm not a kayaker, but lived in AK for 20 years and canoed and rafted quite a bit. And I have lots of kayaker friends that might be able to give you some info. LOTS of quality opportunities, but many with major logistical issues. But worth the effort!
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #7
CBrow

Norwood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yeah, Andy was a bad ass boater. I met him a few times tho I never got to paddle with him. His river exploits were legendary in Alaska. RIP Andy.

Alaska is a huge state and you could spend a life time running rivers there.
While there are dozens of good runs accessible by road there are hundreds more that require an air taxi. Besides andy's guide book there is one by Keren Jettmar that covers less whitewater rivers and more long wilderness floats. Sepp Webers book is also a good one.

I spent 20+ years guiding up there and have run about 40 rivers. Would be happy to share any info I could offer to anyone interested. CB
CBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #8

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks all. And sorry to Mania to hear about your loss...
I will definitely get some books and do some thorough research but its kind of sounding like I thought....probably not the best option for me as far as paddling goes. I would be going for the wilderness adventure and can handle rugged terrain, isolation, I'm fairly well trained in winter mountain survival am an avid backpacker, etc. However, I am a kayaking wuss in comparison to what AK has to offer. Im a cautious boater to say the least, I currently have only owned a play boat and I stick to class 3. Denachuck and CBow,thanks to you both and I will definitely be in touch, but I was already thinking that getting to the limited amount of runs that I am capable of is probably a monumental event especially on a teacher's salary. I am weighing Alaska against SW Colorado for my hopefull potential move. So far AK is winning in down right once in a life rugged back country experiences; SW Co is winning in paddling opportunities and proximety to beloved rugged deserts of the CO platue...
Speaking of...I'm deeply considering Dolores and Pagosa any advice or info on living and paddling in that region?
green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I never had the privilege of knowing Andrew just know he was in a league of his own. pick up the book if you can find one you'll find out more about him and his exploits.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #10

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Tim Johnson authored a guidebook for the whitewater runs around the greater Anchorage area. Spending time in Alaska you will quickly realize how different you're lifestyle becomes based on the community (or lack there of) you choose. Tim's a talented paddler and assembled a really nice reference if you're in the Anchorage Bowl area, which not only has many options, but also people to boat with...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska