alaska - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-03-2010   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
alaska

im going to be going up to AK in a couple weeks to work on six-mile and maybe nenana. i just had a friend who was mentioning that i am going to need to get a license through the coast gaurd? i am guessing that this would only be for motorized rafts? anybody that has worked up there want to straighten this out for me?
thanks

rivermountaingnar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
i guess its called a six pack license? i looked on the coast gaurd website and its hard for me to tell what exactly you need this license for. .
Old 04-03-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
At least a decade ago you didn't need any type of license to work the tourist paddle and oar rafts on the Nenana. Of course things may have changed in that time.
Tele-axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I guided on the Nenana in '02 and '03 and there were no licenses of any kind ever mentioned. None of the people I know who guided on Six-Mile ever mentioned a license either. Just call the company you are guiding for, I bet they know.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #5

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1996
I've worked up on sixmile the past two seasons and have a feeling we'll be working together this summer. No license needed. Swiftwater is the only thing required by the state.
raftkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftkat View Post
I've worked up on sixmile the past two seasons and have a feeling we'll be working together this summer. No license needed. Swiftwater is the only thing required by the state.

thanks, yea i guess its just for the fishing and hunting guides? but thanks for the info and yes i do remember getting some information from you before on working up there. chugach right? if so then yes, we will be working together this summer! im definitly stoked to get up there! i leave here for the drive on the 22nd of this month cause i need to re-do my swift-water and also my wfr is expired now so i have to take the advanced first aid class. im guessing that since you have gone back there to work that jay/john are good to work for? im planning on camping for the summer but maybe if you rent out a house in hope again i can rent out your backyard for my dog?! you said before that you mainly did float trips on the resurrection for your first season.. was that by choice? any other info you have for me would be great! also, i live in dillon so if you ever make down here within the next two weeks then maybe we can meet up for some coffee or something. thanks and look forward to meeting you!
-Justin
Old 04-04-2010   #7

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I worked there in '00 and there was no need for a license. Warning: there is one company that is owned and managed by a crackhead that [many, many reports indicate] pulled a handgun on an employee, punched another employee in the face, and is a total dick in general. I almost worked there, but met him. Felt like if I looked at him the wrong way, or declined his offer, that I was gonna get a fight. I think his name is john, but it was a while ago.

the ice on the river melts in mid-may if I remember correctly. If you haven't already, you might want to do some driving research. there are 2 roads, one is closed this time of year, and the other might be as well, but I am not sure at all about that (alcan). I can tell you that it can be 250 miles from gas station to station, and absolutely nothing in between, exempting the postcard views every 100 yards.
ajpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #8

Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have worked on the Nenena for 3 seasons and know nothing about licencees. Went up and started working.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Maritime Law

What you guys are chatting around is whether this is a state of Alaska issue, which would not require a maritime license, granted through the coast guard. If you are in any way involved with taking compensation as a guide on any water salty, you are going to deal with the coast guard. Federal entity, nothing to do with the state. If it's them, expect mandatory piss testing, and a whole slew of hardcore maritme laws. And a six pack license will take a number of years to get, because one has to log 'sea time,' signed off on a coast guard form, by another licensed captain, then you have to pass a huge written test. Spent some time on sailboats working. If you are not the "captain" of the vessel, you should only have to pee, not get a license.
Old 04-05-2010   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
What you guys are chatting around is whether this is a state of Alaska issue, which would not require a maritime license, granted through the coast guard. If you are in any way involved with taking compensation as a guide on any water salty, you are going to deal with the coast guard. Federal entity, nothing to do with the state. If it's them, expect mandatory piss testing, and a whole slew of hardcore maritme laws. And a six pack license will take a number of years to get, because one has to log 'sea time,' signed off on a coast guard form, by another licensed captain, then you have to pass a huge written test. Spent some time on sailboats working. If you are not the "captain" of the vessel, you should only have to pee, not get a license.
You're close, but off by a hair. If operating a motorized vessel carrying passengers for hire on any waterway, you are required to have a 6 pack license. There's two different licenses, one for the salt, and one for inland waterways (which is inclusive of the tidal zone, up to 5 miles from a port of refuge max.)
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska