AK Boating - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2012   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
AK Boating

Just moved to Seward, AK and don't know any boaters yet. My boat gets here on the barge in a few days and I'd like to go paddle. Anyone in AK want to paddle or does anyone know someone in AK that I can contact to paddle with?

pem27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Alaska is a hug stat, but my buddy owns this company. not too sure how far you are. really good dude.
McCarthy River Tours & Outfitters - Alaska's Premier River Rafting Tours & Outfitting
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #3

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1986
Check out the Alaska Outdoor Directory forums and post a similar thread under Kayaking and Rafting. You'll surely find some fellow paddlers. Six Mile Creek will be the premier class IV/V run about an hour north of Seward.
Birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Moving up to girdwood I will be up there on the 11th or so. I worked on six mile before, awesome stretch of whitewater. Lets boat when I get up there!
rivermountaingnar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #5

McCarthy, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2001
boat the wrangells

We got a lot of good rivers out here around McCarthy, it is a long drive from Seward though, about ten hours. Good class III here in town and a lot of big water fly outs as well. As far as the Kenai goes, six mile is the gem but there are many others. If you make it out McCarthy way, get a hold of us! Thanks for the shout out Tony!
McCarthyAKRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Definitely get a copy of the out of print guide to Alaska whitewater, "Fast and Cold" by Andrew Embick

Amazon.com: Fast & Cold, A Guide To Alaska Whitewater (9781560442691): Andrew Embick: Books

Only thing I have paddled in AK is six-mile, but it is still one of the best guidebooks on my shelf, right up there with Amaral and Western Whitewater.
Old 07-26-2012   #7

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
lets boat!

Hey I'm up in Anchorage, looking for partners. Just drove up from CO. It's a bitch trying to find partners up here. Lets hit six mile. Devan 720-289-1297
DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #8

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1996
As they said, Sixmile is going to be great for someone living in Seward. Sixmile Fest is going be going to be the weekend of August 25th, so if you haven't met any good boating buddies by then, that'll be a great time to meet most boaters in the area.
raftkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #9

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Just wanted to add that if you're looking for a guidebook to the area, Tim Johnson's (newer) book is great, and much easier to figure out. The Embeck guide is historically significant (and groundbreaking for sure) but super hard to digest.

Also, if youre like me coming from CO, it a bit of a shock the lack of boaters up here. Everyone packrafts. (and I get it now, after looking at the approaches to the put-ins) There's one kayak shop in the entire state, and it's run out of a garage. (super cool folks)
DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all the info. Devan my boat should be here on the 30th so I'll be down to paddle after then. Rivermountaingnar hit me a PM with your info and we should meet up when you get here.
pem27 is offline   Reply With Quote