Airlines and Kayaks who's showin the love???? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-30-2005   #1

Airlines and Kayaks who's showin the love????

I am about to fly with a boat H3 255.

Anyone know what airlines are best for flying with boats which won't take em and how much it is going to be.

My friend Russel (rest his soul) always said "no matter what-- never, and I mean never, say the word kayak in an airport"

bzapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005   #2

Alaska suxs!

Don`t fly Alaska man, they blow. I got a verbal ok, plus name from Northwest for 140 (oversized baggage-under the weight) and they charged me 250$ to fly international. A guy on the same trip brought a damned cello and they charged him the same amount!

United is good. NW ok...not sure about the rest. My advice is to show up early and check your bags as soon as heavenly possible. No one likes to argue at 3 am.

My final advice: kayak bags, bribery and white lies like, "it`s an experimental wind surfer" are your best friend.

Cheers
Maya_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #3

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I have good luck with Frontier.,....Anyone else i just pay the guy out front off with like 20$, but it beats 100 inside. If they say they wont fly it, then just threaten to leave it with them, and your leaving! it works....haha
Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005   #4

flying

DO NOT FLY delta if ur akeing ur paddle as well, b/c they will cut the paddle in half they cut my brandnew werner cleanly in half but i heard that united works really well with boats
kayakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #5

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
WHAAAAT?

They cut your paddle? NO WAY! Did you go APESHIT or what? I'd be incarcerated for what I would do to some dumbass that cut my paddle in two.
Old 08-31-2005   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I fly with a boat fairly often for work. I have had good luck with every airline I have flown with. My advice is call it a surf ski and right away tell them that it is you usually just pay the oversize charge for a surfboard. That way they don't spend an hour looking on the computer for surf ski and you don't get caught lying if someone opens the bag in this era of hyper secutrity concerns. I usually pay between $50-$90 one way to get the boat on the plane. My attitude is that if you have to fly with a boat you have to pay the piper and I just try to avoid conflict and get the boat checked as soon as possible before someone decides to get employee of the month on you.

Ben's idea is a good one. I am going to try that when I fly to Montreal in two weeks. I would concur that it is generally a bad idea to call it a kayak up front but I have had people behind the counter say "oh isn't that just a kayak?" and still be ok.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #7

Good adivce above. I just flew from Denver to NYC to Madrid to Johannesburg to Livingston (Zambezi) and back with my kayak. First leg was JetBlue to NYC, called ahead and told them I had a surfboard, they said no problem $25 each way. When I showed at the airport and they asked what was in the bag and I told them a, "Surf Ski," which they took to mean surf board, and they let me on no problem. Iberia for the next two legs, they asked me what I had, I said "Surf Ski" again, they said, "oh a surf board" and no charge no hassles to Johannesburg. South African air to Livingstone, again no charge no hassle. They did weigh everything at every stop and as long as it's under the weight limit, nobody seemed to care.
Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #8

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Does no one seem to notice your boats are a little (ahem) thicker than a standard surfboard?

(why do I suddenly feel as if I'm typing in code and colloquialisms??)

I was wondering this myself, and was stuck in the fly vs/ drive debate for my next visit to friends in Denver and Estes Park?
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #9

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Why, yes, my boat is a little thicker than a surfboard. Thanks for noticing.
Old 08-31-2005   #10

Denver, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
Frontier is the best! No charge or questions asked on the way out to Baltimore. On the way back I was asked what was in my bag, I told them it was a whitewater kayak. The lady at the counter said that looked like fun, had someone grab my bag, again no charge.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote