aire lynx cell floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2014  

Nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
aire lynx cell floor

I found an aire lynx cell floor solo for $350. Is that a flood deal on it? It was a rental in good condition. What are pros or cons of the cell floor vs air?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I had a puma that had that type of floor. I really liked it. It was very stable to walk on and it made the boat very rigid front to back. The problem came about ten years in (maybe less). The floor started soaking up water like a sponge.
Old 04-10-2014  

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
My friend has an old model Force with a cell, I presume you mean foam, floor for the last 15 yrs. No problem at all. The only con is that if you want to fold up the boat real tight the floor has to be removed. If the lynx you want is otherwise OK, get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
Agree on getting it. I by know means tried to discourage you. As long as it's not water logged I thought it was a great floor. JIMM is right though on folding. If your looking to pack the boat you may not like it. Oh and my Puma saw 50+ days a year.
Old 04-10-2014  

Nashville, Tennessee
Thanks for the replies,

How hard/time is it to take out the floor if I wanted to deflate the tubes? I have a xterra to transport it around

How would I tell if the bottom gets water logged? It was a rental.
Old 04-10-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
It not something you want to do every weekend. If the zipper works well it isn't to bad. There isn't any risk of damage to a bladder. I bet that boat would look pretty nice fully inflated and tide upside down ( like a canoe) atop of your Xterra.
Old 04-10-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
As far as the water logged issue I am not sure you could tell for sure unless you put it on the water. If the foam is soggy now then it's water logged. If it sat for the past six months it may have just dried out but still absorb water. My friend that bought my boat talked to Aire about this and they said short of replacing it there isn't much you can do. Maybe they would let you demo the boat then you could check the foam at the take out. I hope it's OK because it's a real nice set up if it is. Replacements may be affordable to if the plastics in good shape.
Old 04-10-2014  

Nashville, Tennessee
I will contact him about testing it out. What would the procedure of checking for waterin the foam? Unzip it and see if it's wet?

He said it held air all winter and is a bit dirty but no patches. I will be in the area this weekend he is selling it this weekend.

Do you think the lynx is a better deal than the bandits on sale in the gear swap here for $395?
Old 04-10-2014  

Bozeman, Montana
No to sure about values of IKs. The foam will be not just wet but heavy with water. A lot like a wet sponge. It may not be an issue at all. My boat saw a lot of use. It also had the floor that allowed water in so as to act as a ballast. Maybe that one doesn't. I think I would rather buy a boat that I can look at in person if things seem about equall.
Old 04-10-2014  

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
OH BTW, before I came across my friends Force that I mentioned in my above post, I also had a lynx with a foam floor. Bear in mind the following: Lynxes with foam floors are by definition very old. They repl the foam with air bladders a long while back. So it may be quite an old boat.Definitely get your hands and eyes on it before putting down $.Also, my lynx had 3 pieces of foam, one big piece in the middle and one each at either end.Certainly not a deal breaker if all else is good.
Good luck_ you really cannot beat AIREs.

Tags
aire