Aire Force mods for self support. - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Aire Force mods for self support.

So Iím looking for some help understanding Aire Force IKís. Iím thinking about modifying one to be able to do light self support trips. I have 2 Lynx 1ís that I use for self support most of the time and for friends/ partner paddling. Iím looking for a more high performance IK and I have my eye on a Force. I come from a hardshell background and was a solid 4-5 paddler. But bad shoulders and not being able to get out like I use to have found me in IKís. While Iím a big fan of Aire Iím also looking at a Sotar 11í IK as an alternative to a Force. My idea is to use a Force and ditch the float bags and replace them with watershed stowfloats bow and stern. Adding a regular kayak back band and foot pegs to round it out. The goal is to have a high performance IK with some ultra light gear capacity for over night class 4-5 runs. Having never even seen a force in person Iím just not sure if this is an idea that would even work. I spoke to someone at Air about the idea and he basically OKed the idea but also possibly didnít quite get exactly what I was trying to do. Anyone out there with a Force and familiar with the Watershed Stowfloats? With a hung back band would the stowfloats fit well in the bow and stern? And thoughts on the idea mountain buzz brain trust?

Newbflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
If AIRE made that boat I would buy it in a heartbeat. My wife would be upset, but still. I have an original force XL and the bags are NOT removable, and as result there is not really room for a water bottle / throwbag and snacks, and I have a figure to maintain. When I am running that IK I use a sea kayak deck bag strapped to the stern to hold a few things. AIRE also made a force XL expedition, and I was able to find one used on the buzz, and I think that is the boat for me. It is the same as the force, but no front and rear airbags, you can then fill the empty space with drybags, and that definitely helps to carry stuff. Speaking with AIRE I found out they are still using the pattern but with lighter weight as the Tributary strike. The forces are a hoot to paddle, but are not going to carry a ton of gear to really live large on a trip. It might be better to get a lynx/lynx 2 and increase the gear capacity.
It may be possible for AIRE to custom make a strike with the heavier fabric too. The newer forces have way more rocker, and will be a bit more fun in pushy water.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Boise, Idaho
I have 2 Aire Force IK's and have been toying with this exact idea for years. The bags in mine are removable but I've never found a decent replacement for them that I could use for storage (I have not looked into the watershed bags).

I just use the thigh straps as I have found those to be suitable for my needs.

Let me know if you want any pics, or measurements, of the Forces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4055.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	820.5 KB
ID:	46755  
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

https://www.drybags.com/bags/waterpr...of-kayak-bags/

The Futa and Salmon stowfloats are what Im thinking. Iím glad the bags are removable, just need to engineer a back band and foot pegs. Iím trying to figure out which watershed bags would fit best. IDiverunner, when you have a chance can you measure the size of both bags in what ever force is the most current? It might help me with sizing.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

I have a post hung up for mods approve, it has a watershed link so I guess that’s it.

IDriverRunner, when you can can you measure the size (3 Dimensions) of the Force bags? It will help deciding which Watershed Stowfloat bag would fit, the Futa or the Salmon. Look them up if your unfamiliar with them.

I’m thinking a pair of Keepers for foot braces like I have in my lynx’s and a back band hung on the D-rings on the tubes just in front of the rear Aire float bag. Thoughts?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Boise, Idaho
I'll see if I can get one blown back up later this week for some measurements.

Honestly, the boats are small (or I'm a tall 6'). The rear bag has always braced my back, and the front bag has braced my feet. What I normally do is blow up the front and rear bags completely, then I get in the kayak and deflate them a little at a time until I feel secure and stable. At least for me, a back and foot braces would not be necessary. Ideally, I would find stowfloat bags that are very similar in size so I wouldn't need to get back and foot braces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1234.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	46757  
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Thanks, I look forward to the measurements. The stowfloats should be sized about right and are shaped right but Iím not sure which is the best fit. They do blow up but Iím not sure how solid they would be. They are tough bags and bone dry but sizing is critical. I really like a solid or as close to solid as possible foot board/ braces . I would try a bag first for my feet first. As a back rest I donít think a stowfloat will work, so that the back band idea. I donít need that much capacity. This would be for 1-2 night minimalist hard white water paddling with 20lbs or less gear. I have 2 lynxes for more gear/comfy trips.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Denver, Colorado
You really don't have much room to work with.The cockpit is simply too small due to the pointy-ness of the boat.I have had the exact same idea for years.I have the original XL and it doesn't even have enough room.I'm 6'4'' so any bag in the bow is going to be pretty small.If you buy the wrench from Aire you can remove the stern float bag and install a kayak back band with d-rings .The back band will be pretty low on your back / not as supportive as the float bag.Don't go by the size of the float bag to figure the size of drybag you need ,they blow up bigger than the space and are contained by the fabric cover.You could put a tapered bag underneath the cover and strap another with lighter gear on top.If you put too much weight back there the boat will be unbalanced,duh,and there is really no way to put much up front,maybe if you are very short.Also , i have found self modifying boats can be a bad idea.You will have to go ultra- lite no matter what.The Force is better as a day run boat.Make your LYNX mac daddy with the adjustable foot pegs for higher performance and has a ton of room in a one man.If i could do things again, i would consider a pac raft with the stow compartments in the tubes,much lighter for carrying into places and better storage.Too bad you can't really demo one to compare performance to a Force. If you keep the stern bag in you can inflate the floor then put a small drybag under the float bag before you blow it up ,to carry a little more
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Hmm... things to ponder. I’m 5’10” so I would have a bit more room. I guess I really need to paddle one and see how much performance I actually get in a Force
Compared to a Lynx. I have pegs in my lynx and would even be without them. I also had one years ago that I modified with a D-ring on the top of the tube about mid torso to attach the thigh strap to. This gave much better edge control and helped catching eddies and helped a lot in boils when they tried to suck down the tubes. I haven’t done it to my current boats because they are still under warrantee. But I spoke with aire and they said is go for it and it wouldn’t effect the warrantee so that’s next. I just really miss the feel of a hard shell and those crisp eddy turns. The mush factor is always kind of depressing.

I have a pack raft and in some ways prefer it. But it has is own issues like being uncomfortable over a long day and delicate for every trip use. Also a pain in the ass to portage if storing gear inside. I did a trip on the East fork of the Owyhee river a few years ago at just a bit to low of water. I packed everything in the boat and it works and handles great until you need to portage. Deflate, unpack, portage random gear, repack, reinflate and paddle 1 mile to the next portage. Deflate, unpack, portage random gear, repack, reinflate and paddle another mile to the next portage… Repeat 5 times a day. Had I known it was going to be a portage fest I would have ether strapped a pack to the bow which would have been a hand full in the class 4 we did run of take my Lynx next time with my 2 watershed back packs. That would have been way easer and way more comfortable on the long 20+ mile days in slooooow moving. The trip is now known as the sea kayaking trip in a gorge with the odd rapid/ portage fest 2017
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Denver, Colorado
yah there is no one boat that is perfect for everything...the Force does catch eddies way better than other ducks...i could catch micro eddies on small pushy creeks ,the only skill i ever developed to near class 5 level, hey at least i can stop...interesting to know about the pack rafts...portaging the Force is not too bad without a bunch of gear.It is durable enough that you don't have to baby it too much...

also the Force boofs way better than other ducks...the boat can be a spanking machine on runs with a lot of squirrely laterals and on steep pourovers you better boof ,it does not handle penciling in well...it surfs and enders really well for a ducky...mine is an older model they are slightly different now
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire