Aire Force mods for self support. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Yeah,thatís my wheel house. I cut my teeth on the creeks of western Oregon and southern Washington years ago. Low to medium volume sometimes mankey creeks are my comfort zone and real big water scares the shit out of me. I have my eye on over nighters like the Elwha, middle run on the Owyhee, over nighters on the Illinois...etc. I realize except for the Elwha a Lynx should be fine. Iím just looking for performance.

I took a fairly long hiatus from paddling, like 15 years. The first time I went out again I hadnít been in a hard shell in 15 years. I went with a group of guys and I was always the last to the bottom of the rapid by a long time. I apologized for always having people waiting for me. One guy said ďno worries, youíre styling it old schoolĒ..... I said what exactly does that mean? He said ďyou know, catching every eddy, even the small ones, attaining and throwing duffekís everywhereĒ.... Guilty as charged. Half of the fun of paddling for me is catching little eddies and slicing up rapids into little bits. Seems the style these days is bombing things... to each there own. I just want an inflatable that I can catch little eddies in.

Newbflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
Dang I thought I was the height limit at 6'2" and 220, I love the force and it really is a great inflatable, it is frustrating that there is no place for a throwbag and waterbottle though! I feel like the expedition does give storage space, but the original forces drain really slowly after filling. I traditionally run mine with a throwbag up front, lean on an aire thwart, and then a watershed Ocoee in the back.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Denver, Colorado
yeah i've put on a lot of weight so am pushing the limit 275.but there is another guy on here that had/has an xl, Learch,who is like 6'8'' and 300 plus...with much gear we'd be too heavy..you can clip a throwbag to one of those metal rings on the stern with a carabiner...it is annoying to have to keep a water bottle in a drybag
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but if your shoulders are bad from hardshell kayaking, how is an IK better?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
I have a pack raft and in some ways prefer it. But it has is own issues like being uncomfortable over a long day and delicate for every trip use. Also a pain in the ass to portage if storing gear inside.

Why didn't you just shoulder it? Serious question.

I ran Deep Creek to the EF Owyhee last year. Shouldered the 2 (3?) main portages, ran the rest. Gorgeous canyon.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

As for the owyhee. We actually thought the water was going to be higher and we have never done it before so I had packed a bit more luxuriously than I should have. At least on the upper section most of the portages wouldíve been a drag it over giant boulders affair, you canít just put it on your shoulder and walk around. Iím sure not gonna be dragging the boat around by the grab line in the middle of nowhere. Those arenít meant to sling a 50lbs boat around. We only ran 3 rapids, pipeline (I think thatís what itís called) Cabin and some 3+ I donít know the name of. Everything else had turned into bolder sieves. The portage at owyhee falls was like 1/3 of a mile along a 45į slope 200 feet above the river, the lower the boats back down with road...so mall loads for safety. All the water went under the entrance boulders when we were there. I also have a bum leg that makes it difficult to walk on rough ground with a load without poles. This is why I kayak and donít backpack any more. I canít just throw a boat on my shoulder and be stable. 35 year old motorcycle injuryís haunt me every day.

As for my shoulder, I tore my rotator cuff 25 years ago surfing sea kayaks in the Oregon winter surf. Itís been manageable for years but finely decided to quit on my a few years ago, I finely got it and some impingement issues surgically dealt with a couple of years ago.
Doc says keep my arms down. I have been paddling Surfskiís for years and this keep my arms down and I never have to high brace. Inflatables for the most part kept me do this as well. If aggressive low braces canít keep me up right I just flip and climb back in. What high braces I need are aggressively elbows in and down. Plus I have been doing on luxury trips in them for years on the Lower Owyhee, Rogue...etc. I also just canít get out that much any more so my once a month at best in a hard shell just doesnít cut it any more for staying at the level I want to be at, plus Iím taking people out and reaching them to paddle white water so we can go do the owyhee, John day, rogue etc ...... Are all those good enough reasons for you to why Iím inquiring about IKíing and bods to make a force overnightable?

Why do people feel the need to question my motives and needs?

Pict#1... it took me two loads to get around owyhee falls (about as far as you can see on the distant slope) as I need to use poles because of nerve damage in my right leg.

Picture #2. I canít walk on this slope carrying with my loaded pack raft with a light load let alone a heavy one. My friend had a hard shell and did his portage in two loads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0365E128-C123-4A2B-BFBE-6B3414B2ADA3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	46837   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EE71CB6-D21B-44B2-A527-1A6BB7A65F02.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	46839  

Old 1 Week Ago   #17

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
As for the owyhee.

I wan't questioning your motives or needs. I was trying to understand them.

And what you wrote makes good sense as to why you're looking the direction you are.

I have trouble on sidehills and in boulderfields too. Hell, I have trouble on flat ground... No proprioception left in either ankle, and not much stability either. I tend to end up using my paddle as a pole to reach out and find stability, and with the boat on my shoulder I lean into/on the boulders to give me that tripod effect. And I move really effing slow -- which still turns out to be faster than making 2 trips.

Anyhoo, good luck with your search.
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
I have my eye on over nighters like the Elwha

Such an amazing place. What few portages there are (or were, when we were there) were quick and at river level.

https://mikesee.exposure.co/grand-canyon-of-the-elwha
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

My biggest issue was taking to much. We over estimated the flow and from some descriptions that we could run more than we could. Turned out everything needed 200 CFS more, or you had to be comfortable was going underneath boulders. If I had known better I probably wouldíve taken 15 pounds less gear. Next time it will definitely be with inflatable kayaks. Thereís an awful lot of flat water that I wouldíve enjoyed a little more room in my boat. Plus make it at least a week long trip... so many side hikes and chillín to do. Itís a shame to spend it paddling all day every day.

That Elwha vid a super. Really makes me want to go. Not sure if my leg can take the hike in though. My pack raft is a bit old, wide and heavy. I had to add all the features the new Gnarwall/ expedition now have. I also have a double thick floor as I was going to take it to Mexico and run some stuff in southern Mexico with a lot of travertine deposits that are really hard on boat bottoms. So it comes in at like 13lbs and is a chore to roll but doable.

Picture#3..... somewhere on the lower East fork of the Owyhee, May 2016
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B58D13C7-1B42-4573-B542-2C5D485EAA02.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	46841  
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

plainfield, New Jersey
I ran my expedition XL over the weekend (tributary strike but with the original beefy aire fabric) I had a throwbag in front of the foot pegs, my SHTF Drybag with repair kit, firstaid kit, pin kit, folding saw in a 10L bag and a watershed ocoee stuffed with food (my kids will waste away if not eating all the time really... ask them) and running an AIRE 12 inch thwart as a seat the boat was pretty much full. I could wedge another dry bag under my legs but it would be getting really tight. I imagine you could use a water shed as a thwart seat too, but I like to be really wedged in and I have found only a thwart can do it.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire