Aire Force IK. Who has it? Is it for me? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2018   #1

Aire Force IK. Who has it? Is it for me?

I am a former hardshell boater. My last boat (12 years ago) was a WaveSport Diesel. I loved that boat and took it down the Colorado. I would like to get back into boating but feel I should transition to an IK for the increased safety and improved self-rescue capacity.

My complaint with the IK's I've demoed so far (NRS Maverik and AIRE Tributary) is the lack of maneuverability compared to a hardshell. I would be a day-tripper only unless with raft support. My goal is to do the Colorado again in an IK. The Aire Force seems to fit the bill. I would appreciate any advice. Also, is there anyone in the Southwest who has this boat? I have been unable to locate a dealer that has one to demo or even look at. Thanks for the help!

BatGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Picked up one used earlier this year, after paddling a tomcat solo for 3 years. Huge difference in handling. Very little storage. Everything, including k pump gets strapped over back inflation chamber/seat. And a very wet ride. I pretty much wear neoprene bottoms unless its very warm. I dont have any hardshell experience besides a few courses, so cant comment on difference there. If you're ever in the canon city, colorado area, you're welcome to paddle mine and give it a try. I ended up finding one with the foam floor, so not as easy to transport as the inflatable floor.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018   #3

Thanks for the intel! Do you partially inflate the front/back flotation so you can carry a bit of gear (Pump, lunch, throwbag?). Can the flotation be removed? Do you have the new or the old design? Do you use this as your primary boat? What length paddle do you use?

Thanks for the offer to test drive - if I'm in the area I will take you up on it!
BatGrrrl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018   #4

Florence, Colorado
Probably old design, in part because of the foam floor? Fully inflate everything, but back rest moderate a little for fit. All gear goes on back seat/chamber with 4 d rings. Not really gonna carry much. Primary boat til i see if i can get my roll down with a used pyrhana. Usig a 220 cm paddle, but curious how a 210 would work. Guy who sold it to me included a 230 cm, but unless someone was over 6', i wouldnt go that lenghth. I'm 5'10" and a little over 200#. So a little over recommended weight.
Old 10-12-2018   #5

Ok. I appreciate the info about the paddle, too. The manufacturer told me 220 for my height (5'8") but I'm inclined to go to 210cm as I paddle vertically and not horizontally.
Old 10-12-2018   #6

Florence, Colorado
Checked the serial number. Mine is a 98. So its held up well. I would expect improvements in the meantime, and they no longer have the foam floor. Offer stands if you're in the area. I kept my tomcat because of its ability to haul gear and being more newb friendly. Stability is slightly better than my pyrhana if that helps.
Old 10-12-2018   #7

Thank you much!
Keep the boat side down!
BG
Old 10-13-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
A '98 would be one of the earliest models.They have changed the design to make it more stable.I think this,basically widening,probably makes it slightly less manueverable,.I have an original xl and hard shell creek boating ,with lousy roll,experience.I also paddled a Lynx for years.The force handles extremely well for a ducky. It is more fun for play,can catch micro eddies on steep creeks,and is faster than other ducks.The negatives ,much less forgiving,a little harder to reenter,and very little storage..One of those yellow triangular dry bags with grommets works well on back deck for small.items.They made a model with a seat and no back flotation so you could put a mid to fairly large size drybag there.It might have been called a "force expedition"

I used a 202 for awhile, thinking it was easier for playing ,but I think a 210-215 is better for bracing. an tall so maybe not right for you.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018   #9

Florence, Colorado
Definitely an interesting boat. I ran with a group in hardshells and had no problems keeping up. Fast for an inflatable. And i did reenter in river after a getting jammed on a rock. I run my thigh straps fairly tight. Straighten my legs and come off easily enough but still get control and lock in dropping into a hole. There's some vids on YouTube and even a few with somebody rolling back up. The only other negative i see is its always a wet ride. I wear neoprene bottoms 90% of the trips i run with it. The guy i bought it from always wore a drysuit. I may be transitioning to hardshells but its a good backup plan and will keep in class 3 water til i get my roll dowm.
Old 10-13-2018   #10

Ridgway, Colorado
This what you're looking for?
https://westslope.craigslist.org/boa...720419577.html
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire