Advice to increase roll speed - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2014   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Advice to increase roll speed

So I have been kayaking for a few years now, I would say I typically feel confident on class IV water, and am really looking to improve and refine some of my skills this season. I think I have a pretty solid roll and am confident that I can hit it when needed. However, I have had a few occasions on shallow water where not being quick enough has caused me some problems.

My typical scenario is once I get flipped is to automatically go to the forward setup position... hold on until my boat rights itself upsidedown, take a proverbial deep breath, roll up, and proceed to style (hopefully) the rest of the rapid. 95% of the time this works great, but then there are occasions where I roll up to find myself going down the next drop sideways, or banging my head on the ground while waiting to get into a good setup position to attempt a roll.

For example, a few weeks ago a got flipped going down green bridge on waterton and ran it about 3/4 of it upside down. After I flipped I felt my boat was not in the correct position to attempt a roll... so I just held on upside down with my face tucked to the boat until I could feel the boat was completely upside. Then I rolled up and was fine... I banged my back on some rocks and got lucky I didnt drill my head on something. I cracked a helmet last season in a similar situation on another river.

Just curious whether this is the best thing you can do in this type of situation, or whether anyone has any technique to roll up more quickly in shallow manky runs? It seems that once the boat flips, getting the boat completely rolled over into the proper setup position is the limiting factor on speed. If so, it doesnt seem likely that you can do much here, and it is more a result of the unique conditions of the rapid... any thoughts?

bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Think less. Roll more.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #3

Here and There, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
brace more, roll less.
gjcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Backdecks are the fastest rolls but obviously have unique risks associated with them. Sometimes it's just to shallow and manky to be upside down. In those situations just keep it upright or walk around. It's kayaking, nothing is guaranteed.
Old 04-30-2014   #5

Boise, Idaho
The biggest thing is nailing your roll, whether you spent 1 second or 5 seconds setting up.

Other than, it's all about practice. You need to get into situations where you're rolling constantly in turbulent water. Where would that be?

... the playpark.

Like you I default to the front set-up / roll because I have that dialed. My offside, back deck roll, and brace-rolls stink. I need to practice them more. By the end of the season I usually have them before the offseason and cold-water seasons take it away from me again.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I should take my own advice here and freshen up on everything, but I feel the quickest roll is always using the momentum of the flip to assist you in rolling up. Either side or backdeck depending on your body position. The only time I get proficient at that is playboating a lot more than I am lately.

I still instinctively want to go to my strong side roll and it takes time to get the feel of going with the flip/flow.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #7

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarolina View Post
brace more, roll less.
i agree
mark_vanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #8

This is in alignment with kayakfreakus. Basically, it is just like you are practicing your roll in a set up position. When you know you are going in, even after your best brace, set up in the direction you are rolling in and then use the momentum of your rolling in to quickly roll back up on the other side. This requires you don't favor one side or the other to roll.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_vanis View Post
i agree
Yes, brace more, roll less. If you are constantly rolling while creeking (not playboating), then you need to work on your brace. Can you brace well on both sides with both the front and back of your paddle blade? If not, then practice that.

There are some runs/rapids that are so shallow and manky that you don't want to be upside down, no matter how fast you can roll.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #10

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonious View Post
Yes, brace more, roll less. If you are constantly rolling while creeking (not playboating), then you need to work on your brace. Can you brace well on both sides with both the front and back of your paddle blade? If not, then practice that.

There are some runs/rapids that are so shallow and manky that you don't want to be upside down, no matter how fast you can roll.
agreed. the number one priority as a creeker is to NOT flip. then if you do flip you can roll to save yourself from drowning.
mark_vanis is offline   Reply With Quote