advice on kayaks..please - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2007   #1

advice on kayaks..please

i have not long started kayaking and although my boyfriend kayaks, he has his own very strong opinions on what boat i should get...but id like some outside advice....i want a boat that looks good but is comfy and easy to handle.....can anyone help me with some tips on awsome boats...
i am a short female...so not too much foot room.....preferable if it has the option of being pink.....
has to be a playboat...as the only reason i started kayaking is because i would looovvvee to freestyle!!!
any help much apreciated....i want to know the best boat for mmeeeee!!!!

vince-noir-is-god is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ahah pink boat?

depending on your size there are alot of great playboats, daggers, jackson, wavesport, bliss stick, riot, liquid logic, pyranha don't know how many of these brands you can can get in uk but depending on what you want to do and how much you want to spend theres lots of options. #1 rule demo the boat before you buy it. #2 rule demo more than two boats. # 3 rule don't buy a boat cause of the color!!! for starters if you are in 110 range id check out a used dagger kingpin 6.0 super slicey and some nice forgiving rails and it can still carve do all the tricks its a great boat for learning. make sure to check for oilcanning.
peace to the uk
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Jackson

I've paddled a bunch of boats. Agent, Project, Allstar, Orbit, Scooter, Ronin,...

I think the best boat for freestyle out there is the new Jackson Star series. I like the outfiiting and it feals comfortable, though somepeope don't. And, oh, yeah, the boats throw HUGE air. A little different than the old one to cartwheel and blunt, but still slicy and nice. Their sick. And even though they have more volume than some other playboats for the size range, it doesn't feel like it does. In other words the new boat, although bigger, almost feels smaller than the old one, which is a good thing for freestyle.

But really any of the new boats are good, and the answer is subjective. But if you got the bank, and you can get them to send you one on time, the Jackson boats are the best.

One thing: If you are getting into freestyle buy a freestyle boat. Not a downriver/playboat but the most agressive playboat possible. If you want to through down, get a boat that will do it, and deal with a little punishment when you are learning. It really isn't that much different from playboat to playboat as far as staying upright, it's just some want to do tricks more than others. It just sucks to outgrow a boat, and contrary to what somepeople tell you, its not like the performance boat is going to act wildly different than the entry boat, its just going to do more stuff more easily.

And yeah, I think they come in pink.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #4

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I might try posting this in the Betty Buzz forum just so maybe some more women will see it.
I can't offer you the greatest advice considering I am a 6'2 male but from what I have seen and heard from different women are: Dagger Kingpin 6.0 (I am on my second 6.3 and love it) comes in baby blue which is just as sexy as pink, Jackson Star series comes in pink, Wavesport Project 45. The Kingpin is going to be the most forgiving and cheapest.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
There are so many choices and there are so many tradeoffs that there is no clear answer. If your boyfriend has very strong opinions on which boat you should get then he is too controlling. Dump him immediately
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
i would go a different route, if the boyfriend has stong opinions have him pay for it.
Old 07-03-2007   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Thanks alot ture, my girl just dumped me. WTF!
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #8

thanks

ta for the comments but im still a tad confused...
as far as whats available in the uk is concerned, all the kayaks you guys have mentioned are available in the uk but i still dont know what i should get
i want a dagger agent but thats alot of money and thats what my boyfriend wants, but i dont want a crap one either, or one that someone else has owned.
plus i dont want to post on a girls forum cos i just dont....im much more familiarised with kayaking dudes anyway...
Old 07-04-2007   #9

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I only mentioned putting it on the betty buzz because even though you boat mainly with dudes women are going to have a better idea in general about what works for a woman. If I needed a tampon I wouldn't ask some dude which one to get. And I seriously wouldn't take what your boyfriend wants as the way to go. I would get what you want and what feels right for you. If he is that controlling then tell him to f off. I am sure there are more boater dudes in the uk than him. I am not saying to not listen to him at all for advice but you and only you should pick your boat. No offense
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
I only mentioned putting it on the betty buzz because even though you boat mainly with dudes women are going to have a better idea in general about what works for a woman. If I needed a tampon I wouldn't ask some dude which one to get. And I seriously wouldn't take what your boyfriend wants as the way to go. I would get what you want and what feels right for you. If he is that controlling then tell him to f off. I am sure there are more boater dudes in the uk than him. I am not saying to not listen to him at all for advice but you and only you should pick your boat. No offense
makes sense i ges. i have posted ssumit on the girls forum now btw...
dont wory i dont take ne of wat u sed offensively, i just want advise is all because iv only been kayaking for a couple of months and i know there are alot of poeple who have more experience who could give me advise
plus i am planning on demoing some boats soon...so hopefully i shall have luck there