Advice on Beginner Run for Sunday - House Rock - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-14-2008   #1
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Advice on Beginner Run for Sunday - House Rock

I want to do a trip with some other beginner friends on Sunday, 17 August. A friend and very experienced boater has talked about a run in the House Rock section above BV, putting in at the Elephant Rock campground, below Frog Rock Rapid.

His basic description was House Rock has a single pool drop solid 3 and some read and run 2+/3- stuff.

I'm not able to find out alot about the particulars about where to take out and before I drive over I'd like to get some other opinions or maybe other options.

Thanks in advance.

Scott 719-689-2383

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008   #2

Beginner run

There are a couple options that I can suggest. #1. You could run state bridge: put in just below Rancho Del Rio underneath the bridge and take out at state bridge. Easy but fun class 2, very straight forward. Possibly a couple little play spots too. We ran that a lot this year and I am sure there will be plenty of other people on that section. #2. The Dotsero run: Take the Dotsero exit and drive about 4 miles north and on your right there will be a put in that is kind of hidden behind some trees. That is a very tame run, probably easier than state bridge. Take out is right near the bottom of the exit under the bridge. I would run state bridge before the dotsero run. Hope that helps.
jakenewhouse005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ark or Colorado or don't care?

I can recommend some runs for you. It sounds like you might want to run something on the Ark and the Pumphouse and Dotsero runs are both on the Colorado (nowhere near each other).
Depending on how "beginner" you are, you might want to check out Big Bend to Salida, the Milk Run, or the Salida Town Run before you tackle House Rock. If you are going to run House Rock, I would run Frog Rock as well. At low water you just need to stay away from the sieve. Do you have anyone going with you that knows the run? That's always a good idea. Also, that stretch of river gets pretty technical and bony at low water.

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008   #4

Duhrango
Hey Scott. For that run you would most likely take out at the Buena Vista takeout. It's at the town ball fields and there is a big foot bridge at that spot so you know it when you get there. Agree on the run. Take house rock on the right side and if you get flipped, there is time and room to roll. There are some tricky waves just above HR that can mess some people up if they aren't paying attention. Have fun - it will challenge you.
Old 08-14-2008   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
I haven't be on that section at low water in a while, but I think the Class II - III- description is probably pretty accurate. As I recall it's quite continuous, but easy. Not a very long run at all.

Elephant rock is upstream of Buena Vista on the Ark. It's literally labeled "elephant rock" on the 1:24k topo map. Lat/long are: N 38.88465 W 106.15179

Use Acme Mapper for location. ACME Mapper 2.0

Frankly, at these lower flows, you may consider something a bit harder like Browns Canyon. For a beginner, it's a nice time of year to do some swimming (water is warm), and the season is almost over, so you may as well end it on a high note.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #6
Jefe Driver

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Run it Scott! Have a good paddle where ever you decide to put in.
FreeKickHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKickHero View Post
Run it Scott! Have a good paddle where ever you decide to put in.
Are you and Alex in?
Old 08-14-2008   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Hey Scott. For that run you would most likely take out at the Buena Vista takeout. It's at the town ball fields and there is a big foot bridge at that spot so you know it when you get there. Agree on the run. Take house rock on the right side and if you get flipped, there is time and room to roll. There are some tricky waves just above HR that can mess some people up if they aren't paying attention. Have fun - it will challenge you.
Thanks Geezer. That works out great for a take out. I've been to the put in before but just wasn't sure about where to take out. I wanted to give this run a shot before doing Browns.
Old 08-14-2008   #9
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
I haven't be on that section at low water in a while, but I think the Class II - III- description is probably pretty accurate. As I recall it's quite continuous, but easy. Not a very long run at all.

Elephant rock is upstream of Buena Vista on the Ark. It's literally labeled "elephant rock" on the 1:24k topo map. Lat/long are: N 38.88465 W 106.15179

Use Acme Mapper for location. ACME Mapper 2.0

Frankly, at these lower flows, you may consider something a bit harder like Browns Canyon. For a beginner, it's a nice time of year to do some swimming (water is warm), and the season is almost over, so you may as well end it on a high note.
Thanks for the grids Dan. I kinda planned to do this one before Browns next week.
Old 08-14-2008   #10
Jefe Driver

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I wish I could join you guys but I've got my mandatory "Don't kill your wife after coming home from Iraq" retreat. Alex is free though and wants to paddle this weekend.
FreeKickHero is offline   Reply With Quote