Advice for the hands... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2012   #1

Frederick, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1980
Advice for the hands...

What do folks recommend for hand protection in sub freezing conditions? I have NRS porgies but don't really like being attached to the paddle. What type of gloves are not too thick but provide warmth?

Thanks

E

Eyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I've had good luck with Glacier Gloves.
Old 01-03-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
NRS Reactor gloves have always been my favorite,

NRS Reactor Boating Gloves - Paddle Sports - on SonomaOutfitters.com

but NRS is no longer manufacturing them, so I thought I would try their replacement, the Natural glove.

NRS Natural Gloves

but it is no where near as good. I went through 3 pairs in one season because the neoprene kept tearing.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Here's a trick I've used anywhere from creeking to February Westwater trips:

Go get a pair of heavy-duty latex gloves (like the thick tiling gloves they sell at Home Depot) and tuck them in under your wrist gaskets. For the most part the latex-on-latex seals up nicely. Or you can go with some cheap Nitrile gloves. There are PVC options too. Just make sure they are snug. If they don't tuck into the wrist gasket very well, you can also just duct tape them behind your wrists (over the gasket) to keep water from seeping in.

The thinness of the glove allows you to 'feel' the paddle better, while providing less evaporative cooling on your skin. You can also add a thin liner glove if you're going to be in the water all day for some additional insulation without adding too much bulk. Make sure you have 2-3 extra pair with you just in case you get a tear. If you're using pogies on top for river running, they should last all day. Creeking obviously can result in more tears if you're pushing off rocks, etc. But it's a cheap & effective solution; far less expensive than buying 3 pairs of neoprene kayaking gloves.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
far less expensive than buying 3 pairs of neoprene kayaking gloves.
For the record I only purchased 1 pair. CKS replaced them at no cost when they ripped...and the pair of Reactor gloves I had lasted 4 seasons.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
3mm or 3.5mm neoprene gloves seem to be a good thickness to keep your hands warm but still manageable for paddling. Like lmyers I've used the NRS Reactor gloves with good results (bummer to hear they've been replaced by something worse). My hands tend to get colder than most and I can paddle into pretty low temps comfortably with those gloves. They feel bulky on the paddle at the first but you adjust quickly.

NRS seem to be the most functional paddling gloves, but their durability is really questionable in general.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #7

Potsdam, New York
Paddling Since: 2010
NRS does still make the reactor gloves; though the palm material looks a little different and they are neon yellow now.
NRS Reactor Rescue Gloves at NRSweb.com
staples156 is offline   Reply With Quote