Advice for a Beginer - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: new
Advice for a Beginer

So as Summer rolls in I've decided I want to get on the Rivers and Kayak. Went a few times as a kid. Now that I've moved here I want to give it another go. Problem is I don't really know where to start. I'm the type to jump in both feet first just don't want to muck about buying the wrong type boat or tackling something too advanced or too Easy. I saw some Boats for sale A Forplay an Amp and a Slice. What would be best for some one 5'10 at 180? Where's a godd beginers run?
Thanks in advance for the help and bringing a newbie in to the forum.

anrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
A little marketing here but also good advice
Come to The Lyons Outdoor Games and talk with all the boat vendors
Watch what's going on.....Try some boats and other gear on the ponds. Meet some local paddlers. Be worth it to ghelp get your feet wet
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdvm1 View Post
A little marketing here but also good advice
Come to The Lyons Outdoor Games and talk with all the boat vendors
Watch what's going on.....Try some boats and other gear on the ponds. Meet some local paddlers. Be worth it to ghelp get your feet wet
Thanks for the tip. I woudn't have even known about it. But now that I do I will certainly be there. Looks like a brilliant time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008   #4

Paddling Since: 1993
First off I agree that you will want to get to know other people that you can paddle with and get some advice. However there are a few of us out there that taught ourselves to paddle by buying gear and jumping in headfirst. I do not recommend this technique to those that are easily deterred because it is a lot easier to have someone else provide some good tips from the get go. Personally I also recommend the book "the bombproof roll and beyond" it is a classic and how I learned to roll. Now as far as boats go I would be very hesitant to buy a playboat right away. Both the slice and the amp are edgy and not particularly forgiving river runners. I would stay away from these until you have some basic river skills down. The forplay is also of the same genre but maybe a touch more forgiving. Where do you plan to paddle the most this year do you live near a playpark or are you planning on river running more often than not? There are several schools of thought on buying a playboat or a river runner to get started and it really is personal to each paddler. I personally started in a prijon hurricane, which happened to be a hot new playboat at the time granted it was 10' long. I tend to be of the opinion that you should get something that will allow you to develop a confident roll while still being able to surf and play a little. If you get a good design at a good price you can learn the ropes then next season you can move to a more aggressive playboat when you have outgrown the learning boat. Personally I am prejudice towards old wavesports as good learning boats that hold there value well. EJ has always understood the value in a predictable friendly design and it shows in both his old and new designs. If I had unlimited funds I would go straight to the Jackson fun series ($450-$600). Now recognizing this is not the case for most of us a good middle of the road would be the wavesport EZ series ($350-$500). Finally if I was really hurtin for cash I would look for a wavesport X or Z ($200-$350 with gear). There are many other good boats as well but this is just my first impression. I did also notice a cheap Z for sale with a paddle and skirt on buzz that you might want to look into. Anyway if you have any more specific boat questions just let me know and I can give a little info. Also look at playak and eddyflower for gear reviews this can be invaluable during a boat search.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrekid View Post
I would look for a wavesport X or Z ($200-$350 with gear). There are many other good boats as well but this is just my first impression. I did also notice a cheap Z for sale with a paddle and skirt on the buzz. I also recommend the book "the bombproof roll and beyond" it is a classic and how I learned to roll. Anyway if you have any more specific boat questions just let me know and I can give a little info. Also look at playak and eddyflower for gear reviews this can be invaluable during a boat search.
Thanks so much for the time and advice. I'll give a look for the book today and see who's selling any wavesports to check in too. I suppose I'll be doing more river running than play but the Ebi g. fine playpark is right here. Rivers and rapids sound like more fun to me though. Any thoughts on the Dagger rpm? I saw two of those on the swap that say they are good beginer boats What do you think??
Old 05-18-2008   #6

Paddling Since: 1993
Personally I don't like the RPM. Primarily because it is a displacement hull and you will get bored with it very fast. A Z would be just as a good a river runner, more comfortable and a much better surf boat. I would also be more inclined to buy off of buzz, boats at most swaps are overpriced.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #7

If you are just getting started, get a used boat at Confluence Kayaks, assuming you are in the Denver area. Get a used boat so you can move up after 2 years once you have better figured out what type of paddler you are.

Go to Confluence because those guys know their stuff, are pretty helpful, and have a bunch of used boats. Try to go when it isn't a busy time so they can spend time with you. You'll need much more than a boat and they can help much.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #8

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
So our family is in the beginning stages of kayaking and have been going through accumulating equipment as well and while I agree in concept with the idea that buying used equipment is a good idea it is really only a good idea if your can get a boat that fits you, is in decent shape and is the kind of boat that be easy for you to learn in. As a beginner its hard to know what all those things are but there is no shortage of people out there who will tell you that their ?? year old boat will do everything you want. In short my suggestion would be to decide the price range you are willing to invest in a boat and let some of the quality shops here in Colorado, i.e. Colorado Kayak Supply, Confluence Kayaks and I know there are several others around, and let them help you make a informed decision. Then possibly buy your paddle, spray skirt, helmet and pfd on the used market…..just my 2 cents worth. One last thing as others have suggested take a class(we have really enjoyed the classes from Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center) or 2 or 3 it has really helped us get up the learning curve. Best of luck to you

And just in case you were wondering we have absolutely no affiliation with any of the above business’s other than being satisfied customers.
one_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrekid View Post
Personally I don't like the RPM. Primarily because it is a displacement hull and you will get bored with it very fast. A Z would be just as a good a river runner, more comfortable and a much better surf boat. I would also be more inclined to buy off of buzz, boats at most swaps are overpriced.
I'll keep looking. seems those on the Buzz where out of price or size range. Thanks for the help though.
Old 05-19-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_elk View Post
So our family is in the beginning stages of kayaking and have been going through accumulating equipment as well and while I agree in concept with the idea that buying used equipment is a good idea it is really only a good idea if your can get a boat that fits you, is in decent shape and is the kind of boat that be easy for you to learn in. As a beginner its hard to know what all those things are but there is no shortage of people out there who will tell you that their ?? year old boat will do everything you want. In short my suggestion would be to decide the price range you are willing to invest in a boat and let some of the quality shops here in Colorado, i.e. Colorado Kayak Supply, Confluence Kayaks and I know there are several others around, and let them help you make a informed decision. Then possibly buy your paddle, spray skirt, helmet and pfd on the used market…..just my 2 cents worth. One last thing as others have suggested take a class(we have really enjoyed the classes from Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center) or 2 or 3 it has really helped us get up the learning curve. Best of luck to you

And just in case you were wondering we have absolutely no affiliation with any of the above business’s other than being satisfied customers.
Thanks to basil for the confluence tip and thank you for the RMOC tip. i think I'm going to look at doing a rental and muck'n about some II's and see what's what.