Action seat (without swivel) for rowing seat?? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-26-2011   #1

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 08
Action seat (without swivel) for rowing seat??

I'm builing a frame and considering using a folding "fishing" seat made by Action, similar to those made by wise, without the swivel of course. I know that Outcast uses these for their rowing seats with a bracket. Any insight/experience that can help??

sniper1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011   #2
Tenacious B

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1112
I'm builing a frame and considering using a folding "fishing" seat made by Action, similar to those made by wise, without the swivel of course. I know that Outcast uses these for their rowing seats with a bracket. Any insight/experience that can help??
I used that same seat when I built my cat frame last winter. The hinge area can be a weak point, especially as a rowers seat. They would probably be fine as a passenger seat as there isn't quite as much pressure. The pins that hold the back on tend to slip out so I replaced them with just a similar sized nut and and bolt.
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #3

Depends what you want to do....agree with Ben, the hinge is the weak point and the seat in general can be kind of flimsy. Even as a passenger seat, say on the back of a fishing frame, I have seen the back just snap off sending the passenger back-flipping into the drink. in flat water no less.

I think Outcast uses them since they expect those rigs to be used for fishing and not run anything serious. If you are using it for a fishing rig ok, just be aware what they can handle. If you are going to do more whitewater I would get something with a metal frame instead. I think you can get seats that are more stout but similar.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011   #4

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Just
Say
No
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
There is nothing like the feeling of pulling really hard and having the back of your seat break off.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #6
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I have used those as front and rear passenger seats on guided fishing trips for years, and I wouldn't recommend one for a row seat. I have had a number of larger guests strip out the front two screws due to leaning back hard on the seat while going through a rapid, which resulted in the guest's head and shoulders in my lap. Needless to say its kinda hard to row like that and most got an oar to the back of the head on the way down. I'd use a tractor seat, they aren't that much more expensive.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #7

Billings, Montana
how about a seat like this?

just from the looks it seems nearly identical to the low back michigan seat NRS sells (aside from the color, drain hole, and decal)

Old 02-26-2011   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
sniper, I love my action seat, when I was building my boat, a lot of people told me the same thing and it's true the seat will pop off. The hinges it comes with are worthless. I replaced mine with normal pins from a hardware store ($3) and it works great. I really like how it folds when I transport my boat and there is no wind resistance and I like the small give it gives me when I pull hard on the oars.

For $25 you can't go wrong trying this seat. If it breaks 2 times, I am still better off replacing it than buying the overpriced NRS seat. I've had mine for 2 years now of heavy use. No problems yet.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #9

Billings, Montana
sweet thanks for the advice, what are you using to attach the seat to your frame?
Old 02-27-2011   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005

I used this bracket:

Flip Seat Bracket

but I reversed it so it opens to the back. The action seat folds when I lift it up so the gear back in the stern doesn't get in the way and I can get to my big dry box with out doing monkey stands. I attached the strap to the front of the bracket to hold the seat down, works great for me.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote