ACL conditioning ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2007   #1

ACL conditioning ?

Hello. Im in Co Springs and have endured a few ACL related surgeries over the course of this year. I am looking at being free of my PT in a month or so and am questioning their definition of functional. SO I am looking for a trainer, program, or information on developing a strengthening and improving Range of Motion fitness program. Ive laid low this last year and am antsy to get back to running, soccer and of course some serious paddling but want to be confident in the 'ole faulty hinge'.

Anyone have any beta on rehabing a knee to a truly sport conscious functionality? Thanks!

ktkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007   #2

Itís actually your insurance company that decides when you leave PT. I had my PT and surgeon write letters asking for additional PT sessions. I was able to get 6 more sessions out of them. If they refuse to write the letters you have a shitty surgeon and PT! Before insurance companies started running our health care PT was generally 1 year for knees.

As for post PT training I agree. After my knee surgery (ACL and MCL reconstruction, and tibia fracture) I found a personal trainer that specialized in athletes recovering from knee injuries. I worked with her for almost 2 years and now my knee is back to 110% but it took 3 years. I am just starting to run now and logged over 40 days in the backcountry last ski season.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #3

Yep. Already ran that line. I didnt make headway with the insurance company so I worked a barter with the PT but that too depends someone elses willingness/kindness. So what I do for the remainder of the calender year, at least, depends on my own ingenuity... time to take the bull by the horns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I was told to work the muscles around the knee. Most of my work is short arc stuff because any deep squats or anything that strains the knee when it is bent around 90 degrees inflames my knee. If you want I can show you a stretch that you are going to hate that keeps my knee flexible. I am sure there is some very creative strength stuff out there at this point. Its been years since I tore my ACL but I can show you what I do to keep my knee going but the biggest thing for me was to get my bike setup properly and then to get my ass out on it.
Old 10-30-2007   #5

Second the bike... Also, any stability work is great. partial squats on a bosu ball, one legged squats etc.

Find a trainer that works with knee rehab and be willing to spend the money.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmiller View Post
Find a trainer that works with knee rehab and be willing to spend the money.
I second that. It is worth the money. It will definitely improve the time and extent of the recovery.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #7

Thats part of what Im looking find ,some good leads on trainers in the Springs area to check into. Anyone?