Access agreement reached for Wildcat Canyon! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-01-2008   #1
Sponsoring Vendors

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Access agreement reached for Wildcat Canyon!

American Whitewater has reached an aggreement with Sportsman's Paradise granting paddler access to Wildcat Canyon. For many years, paddlers wanting to run the upper South Platte river through Wildcat Canyon, were challenged by one of the most contentious river access debates in Colorado. Historically, the act of floating through club property to access Wildcat Canyon has resulted in harassment by landowners, physical assault on paddlers and criminal prosecution.The new agreement secures permission for paddlers to enter and cross club property via vehicle, in order to access public lands to the north of Sportsman's Paradise property. The agreement will undergo a trial run this season, with the goal of formalizing the arrangement for 2009; ensuring many years of fantastic paddling through Wildcat Canyon.
Wanna play?... follow these simple guidelines!
For more info:
American Whitewater - Access agreement reached on South Platte River!

nathanfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Awesome! I don't think I'll ever want to paddle this section, but it's great that AW is out there representing boaters!

Is your AW membership up to date?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #3
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
That is excellent news! Sounds like a reasonable compromise and I really appreciate AW's efforts to solidify this agreement. Last summer was a little tense floating through SP's property, and I think that boaters can live with the advance notice requirement, since this run should be planned ahead of time anyway. Cheers!
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008   #4

I am sure this has taken a great deal of work and from what I understand that is great that they are willing to compromise and work with boaters.

Good job to the crew who worked on this.

As someone who has never been there, but maybe someday, I had a few questions about the logistics.
How does #3 on the list work for the group? Does this run require a shuttle driver?
What happens if they don't answer or are busy with clients to guide boaters through? Or if people don't read mountainbuzz and just go off of the information in guide books, and just float through, doing what they were supposed to do as of late?

It seems like only a handful of people do this run any way and they will probably be in the "know", but just curious.

Thanks again AW for looking after our rivers.
mankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #5

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
that is awesome news. good work boys and girls.
Old 05-01-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
that is awesome news. good work boys and girls.
I don't know about you but this still seems like boaters are being screwed. From what I understand we never asked for access through their property, just that they accept that it is our lawful right to boat the river through their property and not try to kill boaters in the process. Seems like we could still just put in above them and not get harassed.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
kevin have you had to deal with landowners before? i was bitched at once this year already by one, i had to turn around and park 50 feet back up the road even though i had permission on property further down the road. they still see it as tresspassing wether you are in a boat or not. most of them do not know the water access laws so they don't follow them.

nice job opeing it up for more kayakers than less. and hopefully all the boaters respect the agreement by following it.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #8

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
common definition of compromise - "nobody will get everything he wants; we all must compromise"

we could certainly continue to press the agrument and most likely win if it went all the way to the courts but in the interim would have to deal with a very unpleasant situation when floating thru their ppty. kayakers have literally been dragged from there boats, arrested, and put in danger by past antics of SP. this agreement while a "compromise" is a good step in the right direction.
Old 05-01-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post
I don't know about you but this still seems like boaters are being screwed. From what I understand we never asked for access through their property, just that they accept that it is our lawful right to boat the river through their property and not try to kill boaters in the process. Seems like we could still just put in above them and not get harassed.
Kevin, I'm sure we all agree but SP isn't the place to push it.

1st of all the run is to cool so any approved access is better then before. They want to fish in peace and we want to run the gnar, seems like a good compromise. This isn't like the Lower Blue.

2nd this isn't the river to push "the right to float". We need a river enjoyed by a greater part of the public to pull together enough support for the propper legislation.

Go enjoy & Thanks AW!
Old 05-01-2008   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
fantastic work! big big BIG thanks to AW, yet again providing paddlers with hard fought access to our public lands!

Tags
access