ACA instuctor course - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2010   #1

ACA instuctor course

I was interested in taking the course to get certified to teach kayaking this spring. Any info would be great.

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I took mine back in 2003. The ACA certification is what most guiding company advertise their guides as having from what I still see, so I think it is still probably the best one to get. I learned a lot about how to teach the sport and got a lot of information about how to improve my own paddling. We did a good mix of class time, pool time, river time and review time. Did video analysis of our own paddling and how to recognize and offer sound advice for others.

The ACA is good about having a solid outline for the course that the instructors use, so I think that the information covered will be about the same in every course. I would put a lot of thought into who you take it from. The teacher(s) really make the class, and a lot of places do hire out of their own classes. I would look for a fairly seasoned instructor and a reputable shop.

Guiding was a lot of fun, I loved to introduce people to the sport, only wish it was year round here and made you a millionaire

You know where you want to work out of?
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I plan on doing mine in May through RMOC, when I last talked to Colin he said he wanted to get it done before Paddlefest.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would highly recomend Collin and RMOC down in Salida, Miah Wheeler is usually the Instructor trainer and he is an amazing IT. He was ACA certified by Kent Ford when he was like 14 or something. If you dont know who Kent Ford is you can probably Google him. Prepare to walk away with a wealth of knowledge.They are truly top class.
baguaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010   #5

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrugger View Post
I was interested in taking the course to get certified to teach kayaking this spring. Any info would be great.
Ya, man I am the head of a kayaking program up at fort lewis college in durango co and we are putting on a ACA coarse for the gen public in mid may. ( private message me for if you want more info)
boateralacure is offline   Reply With Quote