abandonded boat protocal - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2012   #1

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
abandonded boat protocal

On a recent San Jaun trip we noticed a dory hopelessly pinned in Goverment Rapids. The boat was badly wedged between rocks and had been abandonded by the poor folks that got stuck.

Fortunatly I have never had to face this, but it got me thinking. What do you do in this situtation?

1. Are you required to remove the boat?
2. If someone else manages to free the boat, do they now own it under the maritime salvage act? How would this apply to a boat that got loose and drifted off?
3. On a permitted river how do you arrange a second trip to try and retrieve it?
4. Will the Forest Service or BLM help with a salvage effort?

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I can tell you what the black ops would do ..
Old 06-30-2012   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I have mostly boated in the NW so the situation may be different on the San Juan.

1. Are you required to remove the boat?
No, but someone else will retrieve it if it can be done.

2. If someone else manages to free the boat, do they now own it under the maritime salvage act? How would this apply to a boat that got loose and drifted off?
Not in Oregon. There is no marine salvage law. The boat still belongs to the original owner.

3. On a permitted river how do you arrange a second trip to try and retrieve it?
Through the usual permit process. Why didn't you have the equipment to get it the first time?

4. Will the Forest Service or BLM help with a salvage effort?
Not on rivers such as the Middle Fork Salmon and Rogue unless they happen to be there, although the Park Service has sent Rangers and helicopters to retrieve boats on the Grand.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The story I heard about this one was that the oarsmen in question got quite uppity at the Gates of Lodore put-in about how good they were. The park service ended up bring up a crew and helicopter from the Grand to unwrap the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnies dory 1.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4868   Click image for larger version

Name:	winnies dory 2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	4869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	winnies dory 3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	4870  
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
On a recent San Jaun trip we noticed a dory hopelessly pinned in Goverment Rapids....
I think marine salvage rules typically award the salvors compensation (determined by the appropriate court) from the stricken craft's owners, not the entire craft or its cargo. The amount awarded depends on several factors including danger of salvage operation, risk to environment, etc.
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #6

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have pulled a lot of kayaks out of hard to get to areas/jams and always got them back to their owners
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #7

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Too funny, of course a rafter would bring up marine salvage rights when recovering a wrapped boat from a river.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Too funny, of course a rafter would bring up marine salvage rights when recovering a wrapped boat from a river.
LOL
Old 06-30-2012   #9

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
If you are dumb enough to wrap a boat on winnies its fair game for whoever gets the boat first.
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Just for the record, I am not advocating the application of salvage rights on inland waterways. I have no idea what the circumstances were that caused the boat to be abandoned, it was there when I arrived.

I am only trying to poll the boating community in an effort to educate myself. I always carry a Z drag kit and I hope to never need it!
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote