A tubers demise on Boulder Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2005   #1

A tubers demise on Boulder Creek

I normally laugh when tubers get thrashed and there is always a slight sense of satsisfaction. But, last night was a bit different.
Not sure if anyone happened to see this scary incident up on Boulder Creek. Despite altrerations over the winter, Widow Maker is still a sticky little bastard and one clueless tuber learned the hard way just how dangerous water can be. With no helmet, shoes or PFD, this guy slowly floated into the hole and unlike most who fall out, get flushed deep and swim away with a confused grin, this guy flipped off of his tube and kept getting recirculated. Probably recirqed about 5 or 6 times. After the second time, he had a look of horror in his eyes and after the 4th or so, he couldn't keep his head above water. Finally, he began to stop fighting and was sucked into the meat of the hole and finally taken deep and flushed out. All in all, the hole is not that powerful and an experienced person could have easily gotten out.

Needless to say, that guy will never do that again, at least not without a PDF. The amazing thing is, no sooner had he dragged his near lifeless body ashore, did another 3 tubers come down.

So I don't want to be an ass and try to say that the creek is for boaters only, besides, CU tubers tend to be much hotter than boaters. But c'mon, right? Is it just me or should tubers be banned when flows hit a certain level?

ps...for those of you not in Boulder, who have real creeks to paddel in, a tuber is defined as someone or something that attempts to float riverwide ledge drop pour-overs that can provide even experienced boaters a nice thrashing.

De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005   #2

Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
I like William Nealy's description of a "tuber" from Kayaks to hell, Its somethying like:

tuber (N): a root like vegetable; a person who rides an inner tibe on whitewater, giving proof that natural selection is still at work, the tuber of the future will likely be an excellent swimmer and strong, but advancements in intelligence is unlikely
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #3

When I was in college at CSU, we used to tube the Poudre just above the Mish. almost every weekend no matter the water level. Looking back, it was pretty damn dangerous considering none of us had helmets, floatation devices or a clue what we were doing. To top it all off, we drink heavily before hand. Never had any problems, but it many close calls. I think it has something to do with being in college... the rules of common sense just don't apply.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005   #4

Funny, we were just talking about this last night. About how your ignorance of the danger (when in college) allows you to do the stupidest things and have fun while being completely oblivious to the hazards. We were supposed to raft the Yakima River one day while in college. While driving over the pass in hot weather, our KMart inflatable heated up, and with the altitude change, popped! We got to the river, drank a few beers to decide what to do, went to the local gas station, bought a bunch of tubes and tied them together to make a flotilla. We had no shoes or helmets, but at least we had PFDs. We floated down and took quite a thrashing. I remember our beer busting loose from where it was tied to one of the tubes and chasing it, swimming over rocks. I still have scars on my feet from the gashes. But we had smiles on our faces the whole time.

I think even if you educated kids about the potential danger, they'd still do stuff like this. It must get passed down from generation to generation, because my son at age 7 tried to launch himself down the St Vrain from the bluegrass festival in the dark. Luckily someone on shore saw him and grabbed him and threw him ashore. Yikes.
Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #5

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
2003 Season a tuber died on boulder creek at about 600 Cfs. I think he put in above Elepahnt Butttress. They closed the creek to tubers after that.
Old 05-20-2005   #6

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Gotta admit. College life made me brave and stupid. My best pal and I would funnel tons of beer and run IV + rapids (Raven's Chute on the Chattooga) in only our bathing suits. We'd actually (on purpose) swim through sieves...........drunk. Wow were we lucky. We actually had some kayakers stop and tell us how dangerous what we were doing was. When they'd leave we call them p*ssies and jump back in.

Just goes to show the joke is true......

What's the last thing you hear a redneck say before he dies?

Watch this Shit (with southern accent)
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #7
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBoop
2003 Season a tuber died on boulder creek at about 600 Cfs. I think he put in above Elepahnt Butttress. They closed the creek to tubers after that.
I thought that he didn't die, but needed CPR and was successfully resusitated. In any case, there were no more tubers to be found after that, but people have short memories...
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #8

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I guess he lived. The real tradegy is when one loses ones "top".
Old 05-20-2005   #9

Tops do come off!

The best time to paddle Boulder Creek is in August when it's 75 cfs. You have to weave your way through droves of young, drunk and giggeling girls with inflatables of their own.
Old 05-20-2005   #10

ski/kayak bum
note to self: boulder creek + beer + 2 large pieces of rubber (one inflatable and the other roll on type) = fun!
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek