A Tale of the Black.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2006   #1

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
A Tale of the Black....

A crew of eight began, 5 virgins, the flow was 1280 cfs...

2 swims, 2 lost paddles, 2 really close calls, 1 amazing canyon, 1 hair boater stepping it up, 9 portages with loaded boats, 1 person without shoes and in a borrowed pair of plan b flip flops, endless poison ivy, one sweet bivy, tequila and jack all around, fishing and grilling trout on the fire, and 1 mile uphill hike out in the heat of the day later I am sitting at work wishing I could be doing it again.

How bad do you want it?

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i always wonder why people hike out at chukar instead of just running the scenic gunny gorge. easier on your vehicle [although more miles] and i would rather paddle the 12 or so miles thru the gunny gorge than hike uphill for a mile in the heat with a loaded boat. what gives?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
tell us more! how did the durango crew fare? pics?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......there could be a family of grizz gett'n cozy and you'd still get out of your boat psyched for the chuckle trail......it's just a giggle.....i think i hit a cool breeze on the way up....when beer, food and non-ivy-saturates are so close(850' vert=1.5 mi) away....you get out of your boat......on a 1/2 day run of the upper g. gorge, it would be fun to camp at chukar campground and run the gunny gorge , next day with your smarter friends, leaving your ivy-infested creeker for your beginner friend to use...... while you use your godforsakenplayboat to throw down......that you or your smart friend carry's down......420jrcb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #5

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
the last time we ran we camped at the 1st ferry of the big portage under the big rock, and paddled out to the pleasure park the next day. it was long but not bad. i guess i personally would rather boat 13 miles of scenic 3 than hike uphill. glad you guys are all okay. been awhile for me to get in there [saw dan hicks get pulled away from going backwards into a sieve at last minute, as we had key safety] but all this talk is making me want to go back....
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #6

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
........durango crew did fine, 1 black eye at the new drop......wes says to me,'' am i bleeding"?....... i wasnt sure because he had long hair in his face......i said no anyhow.........we still had a ways to go!!!....this mornin' my legs/feet look like they belong to a caveman....swollen, lumps, cuts, bruises, scabs and pus bubbles.....be trying to scratch the ivy out of existance......not working tho....2nd trip thru the portage with lotswater's boat(i'd never miss out on the opportunity to do "team-work") my legs were already bleeding....no defense against the itch- even though, i am a master at "montrose yoga".......CAVEMAN420CB.....PS goin' hunting-gathering this weekend in montrose-CAVEMAN CANYON
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #7

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Sorry for the delayed responses. As to the chukar trail exit, I would personally never miss an opportunity for a scenic streamside hike with my kayak and the chukar trail is a scenic a hike as there is. Don't let anyone fool you its not straight uphill in the direct sun.

On other news today is three days post box and am happy to announce I am an ivy free man. Anyone else fair this well? Milo sorry to hear about you situation.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #8

straight uphill?? Yes that would be difficult. Chukar is a switchback at maybe 45 degrees. Hiked it 8 times (4 round trips) in 3 hours for a gorge raft trip once. Really like the up hill section because I didn't have to carry anything. Not too bad, but it sure was nice to get to Buttermilk.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote