A new camera perspective on whitewater... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2013   #1

Paddler
A new camera perspective on whitewater...

I put together a video last weekend using what I call a Cross Fire Fluid Cam. About one third of the shots on the water are with the fluid cam set up. Has anyone ever seen this perspective with kayaking before....where it shows the whole boat and not just the "big head and torso effect" of the paddler? There would be some added challenges with kayaking.

When watching the video it is the shots where the angle flows around the person.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...43287494,d.aWc
I think this is what you are looking for, no?
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #3

Paddler
Thanks for posting that...

Thanks for posting that. That set up has issues with up and down movements of the head. My rig is on a tilt at well as the 360 swivel and the tilt can move soft 30-45 degrees front and back while spinning. That takes the head movement completely out from effecting the camera.

I would like that set up more on a street motor cycle where it is easier to control head movements.

Ken Hovie has done a pretty cool SUP video on the Colorado with a set up pretty close to the video you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I love it. I've seen it on street motorcycle vids as well, but not for kayaking.

It was nicely edited and you really made the most of multiple camera angles from two videographers.

I thought the flat water views were distracting. You were trying to hold the camera still and it showed on your face.
Not so on the drop footage (snow and water) where you were concentrating on where you were going. This rig added a lot of interest and perspective to the footage.

I think a full video shot with this footage would be "too much" just like a 100% traditional helmet cam vid is boring.
The paddle cam and the pans of you and your partner launching were valuable footage in the final edit.

Usually "driving" video is boring, but again I applaud your use of multiple camera angles--it held my attention.

You clearly did a lot if different camera setups--a lot of paddling video wannabes like me can learn a lot from you--it is absolutely worth taking the time to do.

The "dolly shot" of the helmet rig was very cool for a how-to vid but wouldn't be as interesting for a sponsor (i.e. Subaru) vid.

:beer:
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #5

Paddler
MT4RUNNER....thanks for the feedback.

The camera rig is really challenging to forget about when paddling and I really only do when the challenge of the river exceeds the challenge of the helmet swiveling distraction.
Old 03-12-2013   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Cool video Luke. I like the angles and nice editing. I helped during construction of that place and have not been back since. Such a cool place. I want to come back this summer with my son.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #7

Paddler
Thanks Mike. The camera rig adds a challenge to everything and in whitewater stand up it is...well really hard.

That is crazy you helped in building it. I always take the time to look at the pictures of the construction process when I am there. I have been very impressed with how the place has grown with activities over the years.

Hit me up if you go there this summer. I am in the Charlotte area very often in the summer and I go there in the evenings.

Tags
camera