A Memorial for Derk - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2009   #1

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A Memorial for Derk

Hello everyone!

In the last day I have received many phone calls about setting up a memorial fund and a river float of some kind in honor of Derk.

We want to be respectful of Derk's family and will not move forward with any events or designs until we have heard the family’s wishes.

For now:

- We now have a donation box at Confluence Kayaks and we should have one at Golden River Sports this afternoon sometime.

- We hope to raise enough money to make a permanent memorial of some kind at the Golden Play Park. I also read that someone would like to do a plaque of some kind on the Big South as well.

- We are also thinking of doing a candle light float/head lamp float down the play park sometime next week in honor of Derk. We all know Derk spent as much time as he could on Clear Creek and many of us met him for the first time in the play park.

Please let me know any ideas you have at this time. We will be contacting the City of Golden soon to see what we need to do.

We were thinking maybe a small brass sculpture paddling in a river with a plaque below it talking a little bit about Derk. Or maybe a bench, I am not sure. We just want something that demonstrates Derk’s passion and love for the sport of kayaking and the positive impact he has had on the paddling community.

If you would like to help with this please e-mail me with ideas. Cash donations will be accepted at one of the two paddling shops (Confluence kayaks, Golden River Sports).

[email protected]

Thanks,
Christine Clark

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice work. A bench would be sweet, but if we can pull of a statue, I think that would be cooler. How 'bout a bronze COUNT pulling a sweet boof?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I will definately contribute! I agree that a statue sounds better...
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #4

Front Range, Colorado
I like the statue/ plaque combo idea, as well. On the waterline (unobstructive, of course ) or shoreline nearby-- seems more fitting to Derk, his lifestyle, his passion: keep his memory eternally near the river he loved...

Perhaps even somewhere along the brick walkway near downtown Golden for higher visibility?

We are definitely in where donations are concerned. Christine, do you have any idea if a find has been set up, or who to make checks out to for those of us considering more than a few $ donations??
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Christine, i'll get a hold of you this week, the CSM Kayak Club would love to help out as much as possible!
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #6
BKC

I am sure Derk loved each stretch of the Playpark, but was there one inparticular he talked about more, counld be found at more ... maybe that is where the plaque, statue, bench could go, closest to his favorite spot.

Love the idea of the headlamp paddle in the park.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #7

303, Colorado
Hi everyone...

We now have a bank account in Derk's name and Wells Fargo.

Joe will post details soon about that

Old 07-20-2009   #8

303, Colorado
Memorial Service

I just spoke to Derk's family:

There will be a memorial and Reception open to everyone. It will be at the Keystone Conference Center at 5 pm this Friday. I know that we'd loved see everyone who knew and loved Derk there to celebrate and commerate Derk's life and legacy.

thanks,
Christine Clark

Old 07-20-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
These are great ideas. I didn't know Derk very well (although I did know how much he loved kayaking and loved Clear Creek) so I am not going to pretend I know what a good memorial would be. But I just want to throw out some ideas that are floating through my head, in case somebody finds them helpful. I think Golden is about to extend the bike path on the south side of Clear Creek up through the play park. This might be a great place for a memorial. And possibly we could convince them to name the whole new path in his honor. Another possibility would be to dedicate the new pedestrian bridge to Derk and put a large plaque on the upriver side so that every time we boat down from up above we could remember how much he loved the river. Another idea would be to work together on a project in his name, like possibly getting the diversion dam above tunnel one on clear creek removed and the drop cleaned out so that people could boat the lower safely right into Golden. I have no idea how feasible this would be, but the drop could be really fun, potentially with a play feature, and I can think of no better memorial than a rapid named in Derk's honor.

Andy
aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #10

Memorial

As some of you may know Derk had been working on clearing the section of the Snake (?) by his home in Summit for five years, hoping he would one day catch the flows just right to make the first decent. I went with him this fall to check out the wood situation and while it was mostly clean it needed more work. What if we were to clean it up sometime and someone he really cared about (Would you be willing Christine? I'm not that great of a boater yet) make the decent in his honor and memory if they can ever catch the flows.

Just a thought. It hit me when I thought of his secret desire to boat from the continental divide to the sea. He had the whole thing almost completely planned out and had hoped to maybe talk some production company into helping him make something out of footage from the somewhat illegal trip. I'm not asking anyone to do that, but maybe at least get that first section clean and run.

I like the ideas for plaques and such, on the pedestrian bridge would be nice but we'll have to see what the city thinks.

On a different note, I thought I would share a comment from my family here in San Antonio. "I never realized you were dating such a famous guy...Then again, who could stay away from such a friendly, passionate kid."
Count's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote