A few quick questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-22-2008   #1

Lafayette, Colorado
A few quick questions

Hey all, I'm currently doing a project for my anthropology class that I'm taking at UNC, and I wanted to simply ask anyone who is willing to respond a few questions. your identity will not be published, and you will remain anonymous throughout the whole thing. I have just recently been exposed to the world of kayaking and it is very intriuging to me hence me choosing it as my topic. Thanks a bunch I really appreciate it-

1-why is that you kayak?

2-what part of kayaking culture is it that you find the most attractive?

3-how long have you been kayaking? and how long do you think that you'll continue to kayak?

4-what area of kayaking do you find to be the most enjoyable( on the river or off the river, creeking or playboating or racing or whatever)?

If you have anything else that you want to share I would love to hear it, as anything helps and since i am not really much of a boater I am sure that there are plenty of aspects to whitewater culture that I am unfamiliar with and may overlook. Once again thank you very very much for your time, I really appreciate it!

newby89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby89 View Post
Hey all, I'm currently doing a project for my anthropology class that I'm taking at UNC, and I wanted to simply ask anyone who is willing to respond a few questions. your identity will not be published, and you will remain anonymous throughout the whole thing. I have just recently been exposed to the world of kayaking and it is very intriuging to me hence me choosing it as my topic. Thanks a bunch I really appreciate it-

1-why is that you kayak?

3-how long have you been kayaking? and how long do you think that you'll continue to kayak?

4-what area of kayaking do you find to be the most enjoyable( on the river or off the river, creeking or playboating or racing or whatever)?

If you have anything else that you want to share I would love to hear it, as anything helps and since i am not really much of a boater I am sure that there are plenty of aspects to whitewater culture that I am unfamiliar with and may overlook. Once again thank you very very much for your time, I really appreciate it!
well ill give it a shot.....

1. i kayak as a release. life is can be great, awful, easy, or chaotic- but you often cant release the emotion you build up during life's ups and downs in helpful ways, so putting that energy and passion towards boating gives my life purpose.

2. i find the community that surrounds boaters is fantastic. other than a few jerks out there, 98% of all boaters you will ever meet are super friendly, helpful, decent folks. and boaters tend to look out for each other, regardless of whether they know each other or not, and be it on the river, or off the river, other boaters will always get your back. not only that, but the community itself is so small and connected, you can go to other towns, areas, states, etc, and likely connect with someone you know, or through a "friend of a friend". and if you want to head somewhere and are low on funds, chances are good you can find a friendly boater with a couch you can crash on. that kind of open arms is something I haven't seen in other sports.

3. ive been boating for six years, and i hope to follow paddler magazine's advice and paddle well into my eighties!

4. i simply love the feeling of freedom that boating grants. i dont care who i am on the water with, or where on the water I am, but if I am on the water then there isnt much else on my mind. rent, my job, relationships, etc, none of lifes little problems matter when you are on the water, it is just you and the water! you have to completely take yourself out of your life, and focus on one task: get downstream. And as long as im with someone who shares that appreciation, then it doesnt matter where I am, as long as Im on that water!

sounds like a fun project. good luck.
Old 10-22-2008   #3

Palisade, Colorado
1: I don't kayak. kayakers are sissies. I row big boats down the river and carry the kayakers stuff because they usually have the good stuff even thought they are sissies.

2: culture...what exactly do you mean by culture?

3: I will be on the river until I die, unless something happens between now an then that keeps me from the river

4: I like the shuttle the best. that and talking about boofing on mtnbuzz and all the puntang that comes with being an x-treem athlete.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
OK, now that another boater started (and now that I'm drunk):

1. I don't kayak. I also carry (and often drink) kayaker's beer.
2. The most attractive thing about kayaking is kayakers- they're hot.
3. Agreed peak- forever.
4. I especially enjoy kayakers trying to lead rafters while taking the "kayak line". But I also really enjoy the camaraderie on the river, at camp, and on the Buzz.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #5

spirit of adventure

Read about john colter's life, several good books.
Our life has become easy compared to our great grandparents but many of us still harbor a need for adventure like john colter required or we grow dull and lose the zest for life.

Nothing better than a community of adreneline junkies who all rely on each other to help test themselves against mother nature.

best part of river life is the anticipation of getting on the river, 'specially at different flows or new river.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:

1-why is that you kayak?

1. Identity and escape.
Kayaking for me isn't something that I do -- It's who I am. You meet somebody at a dinner party and they ask you what you do, I'm more likely to respond "I'm a kayaker" rather than "I'm a newspaper reporter."
For me, it's really important to not be like the masses. If 80 million people spend next Sunday sitting on their couches watching NFL football and then go out to Applebee's for dinner, then I want to go kayak some remote canyon where only a couple of hundred people or less have ever been, and then go into a local pub and drink a Colorado microbrew.
Kayaking allows you to go places that most people can't go, and assuming you have some talent and work to develop the skills, it allows you to do things that most people can not do.
Escape - Similar to what somebody else mentioned (I think they used the word 'release') ... Kayaking is a great escape. Sometimes things suck: You're stressed about work, or making the mortgage payment, or a bad relationship or a hundred other things .... But not on the river. When you're about to drop into a rapid that could kill you if you screw up, all other things go out of your head. You focus supremely on what you are doing, and for me at least, my mind is completely blank except for the task at hand. It's hard to find that kind of escape playing beer-league softball or golf.

2. The key aspect of the culture for me is camaraderie that stems from responsibility. When you're paddling, you often rely on your paddling partners; you have to trust them, because your safety or even your life could be in their hands. If shit hits the fan, you better be with the right crew. And out there on a good river, everybody gets this. So that if something goes wrong, even if it's for a boater you don't know, you'll jump in and risk your life to save them and you know another boater would do the same for you. It really breeds a tight community.

3. I've been paddling for seven years. The guy who taught me to paddle was dropping 30-foot waterfalls and logging first descents at age 60 ... So I figure to be paddling for decades if health allows.

4. Almost none of the above applies to playboating, which is definitely my least favorite part of the sport. While I like surfing a wave and throwing the occasional cartwheel or loop, the whitewater park barely counts as kayaking for me. If you run into a TOOL on the river, it usually will be at a whitewater park. The whitewater park doesn't get you out of town, and you don't have the sense of responsibility because the stakes aren't that high ... it's not that dangerous.
For me, it's river running or creeking (low-grade creeking, cause I'm not really that good. Gore is my test, while some of the Black Canyon-running studs out there think Gore is an easy warm-up and something to do when you're just screwing around ... which is all well and good. We all find our own level of challenge...).
My favorite moment in kayaking is right at the bottom of a big drop. When I pulled off my first run of Tunnel Falls in September, I felt like I had just won the Super Bowl. For me it was a great accomplishment, and that's a fun feeling. And it's almost as fun to watch your paddling partner pull off a successful personal first descent. My good friend ran Tunnel for the first time the same day as me, and it was great to see him pull it off.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:

1-why is that you kayak?

I'll give it a go. I've been riding in rafts since I was about 2yrs. old, started rowing rafts when I was strong enough to move the oars (about 10-12, solo by 14). I was fortunate to have a granddad and dad that were/are rivermen. While growing up on the river.....kayaking is what REALLY intrigued me. I didn't have the opportunity to get into it until 12 years ago (college). In the words of the great Johnny Utah "it'll change your life bra".

Okay, seriously. I'll try to answer your questions from a kayaking perspective and why I do it.....but its hard for me to separate my love for both rafting AND kayaking....I do em both (almost) equally.

1. I kayak because it provides a thrill unlike anything I've ever experienced. At the risk of sounding pretty cheesy....it's becoming one with your kayak and anticipating, reacting, working with, and (trying) to understand the power of a river and/or creek. Knowing that the river/creek can kick your ass just about anytime it wants too. There's nothing like nailing a line and the HUGE sense of accomplishment it provides. Not that you "beat" the river (per se), but that your instincts, your skillz, allowed you to work WITH her to make it through safely.

2. The boating community as a whole. Yeti nailed it. Boaters usually are just great gals and dudes that share a passion. And the community (at times) feels so small....everyone knows someone that knows another that you've boated with before. It's pretty cool. Standing around a take-out after an awesome run with a bunch of other boaters and sharing stories (and beers) is usually one of my favorite ways to end a day.

3. Well, I think I'll probably die with a kayak paddle in one hand and an oar in the other, pfd and helmet on...with someone splashing water in my face. I don't think I'll be running the class V creeks well into my 60's or anything, but I certainly plan on kayaking until I'm 80 (god willing)....but then I have rafting....someone (hopefully my grandson) will be rowing my wrinkly ass down the river until I die.

4. On the river for sure. Kayaking - creeks/river running, rafting - just about ANY multi-day.

Hope that helps.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #8

I'm a playboater... most of the time I do a strech of river it's with the newbie's giving pointers if not just teaching.
I like the playboating, I started kayaking cuz There is no "Surf" in Colorado.
The fun of watching the people you know bustin a trick they have been working on and sticking it or the laughs of watchin a person new to surfing taking a bit of a beating but still commin up smilin even if they just got a 30 second surf.
Talking story while in the eddy waiting your turn.

Of the people I have met very few peeps were TOOLS, even in the play parks, the few that I have met were racers... sure you get dropped in on or a newbie will paddle thru out of control but hey we were all there at one point.

Even If I don't live where there is whitewater I'll still be paddlin some kind of kayak. Touring down a beach or off an Island is great too.

See # 1
Old 10-23-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
It occurs to me that I may have come across as a tool.
There are lots of super-cool playboaters out there and I didn't mean to offend a community (if I did).
It's just that the stuff I like about paddling doesn't really apply to playboating as much as river running, and I generally don't enjoy being in whitewater parks.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
id thats 2 bad you're 2 cool for whitewater parks. thats where all the women are!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote