8 days paddling in a strange boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2011   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
8 days paddling in a strange boat

Here's the scoop. I am going to Costa Rica on a paddling trip for 8 days. Will be paddling up to class 4 (this will be new to me as the hardest I've paddled is 3+). The outfit supplies the boats. Right now I paddle a Jackson Star and a Jackson Little Hero. I am 5'5" 128lbs. These are my possible choices without me getting a chance to try any out. Easy to roll (I am short in the torso) would be a bonus too. Any thoughts? Thanx
P.S. The only boat in this list I have ever paddled is the LL Trigger (3 times as a beginner) and have never been in any of the others listed or will have a chance to.

Dagger Crazy 88 6.2
Dagger Crazy 88 6.3
Dagger G-Force 6.3
Dagger CFS
Dagger GTX
Dagger ID 7.0
Dagger Mamba 7.5
Dagger Mamba 8.0 (2)
Dagger Mamba 8.5
Jackson Rocker
Jackson All Star
LiquidLogic Jefe
LiquidLogic Biscuit 55
LiquidLogic Trigger
LiquidLogic Lil Joe
Liquidlogic Hoss
Liquidlogic Session
Liquidlogic Skip
Necky Bliss 80
Necky Crux
Necky Jive
Prijon Creeker
Prijon Embudo
Pyranha 220 (2)
Pyranha 230
Pyranha S6 190
Pyranha S7 one ball
Wavesport Diesel 65
Wavesport Diesel 75
Wavesport Big EZ (2)
Wavesport EZ (2)
Wavesport Fuse 56
Wavesport Project 52
Wavesport Project 62
Wavesport X (3)
Wavesport ZG 48
Wavesport ZG 54

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Brenda my wife is about the same size and has a short torso so for the more difficult river running I would recommend to you the Mamba 7.5/8.0 and for more down river play give the Fuse 56 a spin. The Fuse is very much like the Jackson Fun series with a more convex backdeck that reduces being sterned and the Mamba is forgiving, stable, and an easy roller and I think you'll feel confident in it. BTW - lucky you.
Old 12-16-2011   #3

bc, CA
Thanks Theophilus. I had seen that one and was curious. Is it kinda wide at 25.5 inches. Both my boats are 24". Anyone have any experience with the LL Trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
[QUOTE=brenda;257361]
Dagger Mamba 7.5 3rd choice river runner/creeker
LiquidLogic Jefe 4th choice creeker
LiquidLogic Lil Joe
Liquidlogic Hoss
Necky Jive
Pyranha 220 (2) 1st choice creeker
Pyranha 230 2nd choice creeker
Pyranha S6 190 2nd choice playboat
Wavesport Diesel 65 1st choice river runner/creeker
Wavesport Project 52 1st choice river/play
Wavesport X (3)river 2nd choice runner/creeker
Wavesport ZG 48 1st choice playboat
/QUOTE]

I think the best bet would be the old micro 220 and 230. easy to roll, at your size 5'5 it will fit well. and playboat would be the s6-zg48 or p52 as a river runner.

best tip i can give you is bring some duct tape and some foam squares for your hips 3 per side 3/8 thick and outfit the boat so it feels right. seat forward. thighs locked in, move the foot block. etc. the outfitter might not want to go through all the BS of outfitting your boat, get hands on and try to do some at night while you are there. i picked the boats i think you will fit and enjoy. let us know how it goes!!! try a few boats, dont go crazy, anything 48-65 gallons will be in your range. i think the pyrna. 220 or 230 is best.

have fun, lucky.......
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #5

bc, CA
Thanks Bob...can the Pyranha 220 at 7'3" actually be only 44 gallons. Those were the specs I found. My Star has more volume than that at 5'6". I think it would be scary taking that down class 4 considering I have never even paddled class 4 (yet anyways). The Diesel 65 sounds good though. Just curious why you thought the Jefe would be good...it's huge 27" wide 8' long.
Thanks for the advice about foam. I will certainly do that. I was thinking of bringing my happy feet too! I am so excited. I have never done anything like this before...just a little stressed about the boat issue. They want us to pick before we get there..1st come 1st serve.
Old 12-16-2011   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I know a program that had the "Bonanza" series -Triggers, Lil Joes and Hoss's until they recently bought some new boats last year and I've taught people to roll them. I never paddled one myself or had experience on moving water. They were easy to quickly outfit to different paddlers. Another thing to think of is how much the boats weigh in at. Being petite and portaging a heavy boat if need be might be a consideration. The Diesel is also very similar in design to the Trigger but a bit more volume and might have more comfortable outfitting for you than the Flex Capacitor for all day on the river.
Old 12-17-2011   #7

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
I'd suggest the little Joe. Good all round boat and it's your size.
Old 12-17-2011   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
probably the 230 then, or like smurfwarrior said the little joe. having to pick one before you go is a tough one. bringing the extra foam or some salamander hip pad kit will help you fit a variaty of boats. i chose the jefe as a 4th choice but you are right, the deisel 65 is a better choice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #9

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I like the Mamba, but dont have much experience with the others. I have a 7.5 I loan out a lot and like how easy it is to adjust the outfitting. Most new paddlers I put in it find it very easy to roll. My wife learned in one at class and that is why we have one now.
Have a great time on your trip, I am jealous.
Old 12-17-2011   #10

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Mamba 7.5 or diesel 65
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote