4 Rivers Weighted Lottery - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
4 Rivers Weighted Lottery

Anyone else get the email?

Sounds like a rational, common-sense idea and approach to the 4 Rivers Lottery. Please comment before March 15 and let them know you approve (or disapprove) of the lottery.

I'm also going to add a comment that local (Idaho) boaters should have additional applications in the lottery as well.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm not sure if Buzzards, want to start working on advocacy, but as long as the water is low I would not mind compiling comments posted to this thread and submit them. Here's the email in case you did not get it...

Dear Four Rivers Lottery Applicant,

The Four Rivers Lottery Group is exploring the potential of moving to weighted lotteries by the 2015 floating season. A document has been posted on our website discussing some details about how weighted lotteries might be developed.

We want to know what you think of the idea of moving to a weighted lottery in general, and specifically by each river.

The best way to share your opinions and ideas is to send an email to: [email protected] with a subject line that starts with “Weighted Lottery”, or you can send us a letter at: Middle Fork Ranger District, HC 63 Box 1669, Challis, ID 83226, or fax it to: 208-879-4198. To be most useful to us, please submit your comments by March 15, 2013.

To help us quantify your responses, please tell us whether you support or disapprove of a weighted lottery and identify which river(s) your comments are directed towards.

A detailed description of our proposal is on our website at: Salmon-Challis National Forest - Recreation Passes & Permits .

In a separate document, also posted to our website, we have prepared some FAQs for boaters who have more questions. At the end of the FAQs you will find the application statistics for the past few years.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't like that you have to apply EVERY year or lose your points. It will just encourage frivolous apps and lost dates for those that are serious. If they are a knucklehead and do this for an Aug 15 date or later, then that's really crappy. What's an alternate solution? Allow up to one year break in those 9 years? That doesn't seem like it would have much negative of an impact on the plan, but give people a tiny bit of leeway.

Otherwise it seems pretty good to me.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013   #4

Boise, Idaho
I agree.

I honestly don't see what the problem would be with having a weighted lottery that doesn't require applicants to apply every year.

If I apply for the MFSR every year from 2015-2019 and lose, I have 5 "points" accrued... let's say I take 5 years off from applying... well, I've still missed out on 5 consecutive years of drawing a permit.

I don't see why we should have to apply every year.
Old 02-14-2013   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
4 Rivers Weighted Lottery - To the Buzz Forum Adminstrators

It would be really nice if someone could start a set of "Talking Points" on here that we could all comment on. The goal would be to find common ground and then we could all use the talkiing points to submit our personal comments. Comments on regulations are judged on the number of comments received and how many make similar comments.

To the Buzz Administrator...what would be the best way to accomplish this?
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I agree.

I honestly don't see what the problem would be with having a weighted lottery that doesn't require applicants to apply every year.

If I apply for the MFSR every year from 2015-2019 and lose, I have 5 "points" accrued... let's say I take 5 years off from applying... well, I've still missed out on 5 consecutive years of drawing a permit.

I don't see why we should have to apply every year.
I think it is to reward the people that actually are trying regularly, and avoid "banking" and using those in a few cherry picked years. If everyone can just rack their points up and up, then what's the point as the majority of people will have a ton of points? This favors those that apply all the time (which I do) and so I favor it. I just don't favor it 100%. The ghost date, even if it is only allowed to be used every other or every 3rd year, would help cull out the fair weather folks.
Old 02-14-2013   #7

Boise, Idaho
Ah, good point.
Old 02-14-2013   #8

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
so on the Grand Canyon preferance for unsuccessfull applicants goes away, and the Salmon/Selway it starts?? Anyone know the rational for doing away with it on the Grand?
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a friend who has applied for a Main Salmon and Middle Fork permit every year for 20 years without drawing a permit. I'm betting he would love this idea!
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
A change I would like to see

I've been applying for these darn things for 20+ years now and what I would like to see is an option on the application of:

"would take ANY date between xx/xx/xx and yy/yy/yy."

As far as I understand it I could be, theoretically, the 5th person picked in the lottery out of 1000s of applicants and not get a launch because the previous 4 people received all of the lotto dates that I had applied for. I know this is the case with the Grand and probably Idaho too.

Would like to consider the pros and cons of this "just give me any date if I've won the lotto" option.

Mike
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote