3rd 2008 Super Hero... and it's MINE!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2008   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
3rd 2008 Super Hero... and it's MINE!!!!

For those already frothing at the mouth... Sorry to stick the knife in deeper, but I just built the third ever 2008 Super Hero and it is F'N SWEEEEEEEEEEET. For those that don't know much about it yet, I will be posting photo's later this weekend from the Cheoah tomorrow am!

Ben Stooksberry and Jessie Coombs got the first sent earlier this week for the last leg of their trip for filming the new Hotel Charley. Jessie got a sneak run in it before they left and said was a dream to paddle.

So the sizing are in between the Rockers. The Super Hero is a tad smaller then the Mega, the Hero is just about same size as the Rocker, and the Sidekick is a tad smaller then the Punk. The Super fits me like a glove at 6feet 200lbs (I know... fat ass) but has a ton of leg room left over and should fit people easily up to 6'6".

The production crew are all heading to the Cheoah for the first release of the season tomorrow early and I am hoping in for the ride. Hopefully we get two runs in. From what I hear, it's going to be a really big release... not sure of the cfs, but it's supposed to be stomp'n.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yeah buddy...git u sum! I'm starting to have tremors from boating withdrawl.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Marty does it still feel like you are sitting in a giant torpedo?Maybe thats the MEGA ROCKER,thing rolls easy and i could see it having superior resurfacing with all that volume up front but feels almost toy like.It actually fits a big guy comfortably not just claims to,somethin' funky about it though.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
well craw, how was it? what's up logging in and not sharing? Was it that tough? or have you been typing for half an hour?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #5

Well Dave, let's just say that after about 10 Natti Lights last night I wasn't in the best frame of mind for a legible review but here is what I have to say so far...

Let me start out by saying that the 08 Hero is AWESOME, BUT it is TOTALLY different then the Rocker series. The Hero line is really fast, tracks like its on train tracks, but still rolls very easy, and paddles really nice. It's much more of a sports car feel then the fully lifted/offroad feel of the Rockers.

The Cheoah didn't turn out to be too high, but had plenty of flow for a fun day. The first lap we did took some learning for me to drive this boat. It surprised me how different this boat was to the Rocker, but that was my fault. One look at the two hulls together and it's obvious, but again, it caught me off guard. It's really a fantastic river runner/creek boat. Super comfy (as always) and eddies out with a snap that will knock the corn off your cob. The speed was a surprise at first and I found myself bombing into rapids and already half way through them before I knew it. It's really stable. I was going into the wierdest of current/holes I could find just to see how it reacted and was only rolled up once in two runs. I was back up in a blink and I ain't the fastest of rollers.

The first run was really spent learning this boat. Coming from many seasons in a displaced hull had me figuring the edges, planing hull and shorter length out. BUT the second run was a ton of fun screwing around with holes and lines, eddy outs and just overall bombing down a solid class IV run with a lot of holes.

Some suggestions:
In my first run I was way forward. This presented too much tracking and was a bit tough to turn sometimes. Clay suggested moving back the seat which made a big difference. I tried in the middle and in the far back on my second runs. For me at 6 feet, I like just a bit beyond dead middle. It provided better control and I was never endering.

Don't lean this boat too much to turn it (far unlike the Rocker). It turns better if you keep it a bit flat when eddying out. That planing hull and chine really snaps in to eddies that way!

When boofing, unlike the Rocker which is a boofing machine, the Hero's take a little more stroke as they have less rocker and more water line. It will boof just fine, but again a big difference in style from the Rocker.

You gotta be prepared to steer this porsche, it needs a driver. Maybe that had to do more with the speed at which I wasn't accustomed too. But more than once I was catching myself being lazy (which the Rocker lets you do) and thinking to myself that I need to steer this sports car with more gusto!

Cayo, I am not sure I understand your question, but the only thing torpedo (ish) is it's speed and tracking ability. I am highly impressed with a bunch of stuff, mostly cause it's so different from the Rocker. Not everyone gets to have a quiver of boats like I do, so in regards to replacing the Rocker's... that won't be happening with me. I have to say that I still LOVE my Mega and Rocker for stuff like SSV and steep sharp rock mank, but the Hero opens up new fun for all kinds of runs around Colorado. In my short 1 day opinion it's going to be a great kayak for people wanting something that does all around very well.

Double thumbs up from Craw.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 02-17-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
MARTY,

not dogging it or anything ,just meant it had a LOT of volume in the bow and kind of an abnormally high deck seemed huge and felt strange to me,still sort of liked it and would try it again.Did the new design reduce the bow size?
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #7

Cayo, heck no... Sorry if my reply was defensive. I was just trying to answer your question. Now that I re-read your post you are talking about the old Hero line. That design didn't work out that well for us and it's understandable as to why. The old (origninal) Hero line was built more for those coming from a slalom background (EJ) and also those looking for an extreme race specific kayak. That design was f'n crazy fast and the boat a bit narrow for the general public to fall in love with.

The 08 design (each of our designs goes for three years no matter what) of the Hero's are totally different. Only thing that remains are the idea of planing/chines as opposed to displaced like the Rockers.

I really can't say much beyond what everyone on Buzz says.. DEMO DEMO DEMO... I am not an advocate of buying a kayak cause it worked for someone else. Tons of boats that have worked for others don't do it for me at all.

I will have my Super back in Boulder in two weeks. Feel free to contact me at ANY time to test er out. I would image that Confluence has them in a month or so too.