3 flipped boats on Lower Eagle - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2008   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
3 flipped boats on Lower Eagle

Just saw an article in Vail Daily. 3 boats flipped on the Lower Eagle, presumably at Rodeo. Thankfully, Looks like everyone got out OK. Do not know details, but would guess that the drops have gotten much bigger at the recent levels.

http://vaildaily.com/article/20080602/NEWS/205255755

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
why is this news? boats are flipping daily in Durango. yesterday was carnage city and very entertaining I might add.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
why is this news?
Yesterdays at that.

In other news, people drove through the Eagle roundabout today.
blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #4

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
When 911 gets called its news. It wast just a couple of flips, but river chaos. One woman floated about 6 miles before a passing raft trip ( not involved) spotted her form the interstate on an island. there were about 10 fire trucks, three ambulances, 8 cops, etc. that makes it news. What does Nova mean in spanish...?...

P.S. check out the video, I look like a dog and a chew toy.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #5

oh yeah
6 miles? shady for sure. does NOVA still recommend the "whitewater swim position" or do they stress self rescue?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so sunday this dude with three dogs on his raft and two passengers flips in corner pocket on the animas. two dogs and himself and his woman end up on river left. his raft and one passenger and the THIRD dog end up on river right. my trainees ferry over and get his raft and passenger but the dog just ran away and would have nothing more to do with rafts and the river. then this old woman comes up to me and is like - that man should be arrested there are laws you can't take a dog on a raft and I'm like - hmmm never heard of that law.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
That's crazy. I wouldn't want to float 6 miles, especially if I were part of a guided trip. I totally agree on the self rescue thing. 6 miles? And she couldn't get to shore at all? Ouch!
Old 06-03-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I guess you have to swim a long ways to make the news, wrapping your boat around a shit pole isn't good enough!

No laws that prevent a person taking a dog on the boat, nor require PFD for pets. I do however HIGHly recommend pet PFD's. I had 2 dogs in my boat when we wrapped, one had a PFD and I didn't have one small enough for my friends dog. My dog with a PFD was very easy to see that she was fine, which helped a lot when trying account for everyone on my boat. The scariest part of the whole ordeal was the 15 - 20 minutes after we wrapped and we couldn't find one of the dogs. The little one was tan and blended in with the water and shore, making it hard to tell where she got out. Thank god both dogs were fine, but imagining being responsible for the death of my friends dog was more than I could bare!

Wow 12 already! So I was the first, but not the last (unfortunately).
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #9
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
why is this news? boats are flipping daily in Durango. yesterday was carnage city and very entertaining I might add.
There were three whitewater deaths over the weekend in CO, 1 tuber, 1 rafter and 1 person swimming a river somewhere.
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Yeah, that's really sad. 4 deaths already - Ark (last weekend, fell out of PFD - not tightened properly), the Gunni (a rafter w/o PFD), Poudre (tuber w/o PFD) and don't know where or PFD situation of 4th. Does anyone know?

There were 7 deaths total last year (6 on the Ark & 1 on Clear Creek, if I remember correctly) and already this year in 8 days - 4!!! Very sad.

Lesson- Don't under-estimate the power of water (especially big water) and over-estimate ability. And oh yeah ALWAYS wear PFD!

I know one part that contributed to my wrap was misjudging the force of the water as it got bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dq View Post
There were three whitewater deaths over the weekend in CO, 1 tuber, 1 rafter and 1 person swimming a river somewhere.
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote