295 posts and 44,500 views of buzz kill - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-29-2012   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
295 posts and 44,500 views of buzz kill

Nice work Buzzards. In the past couple of weeks you have been able to create two posts that have 295 comments and 44,500 views. Too bad those two posts make the whitewater community look like a bunch of bozo's. If this keeps up the admins should change the site to www.mountainbuzzkill.com.

Wouldn't it have been epic if those 44,500 views were of a thread that spoke of all the great things about the river? Things like adventure, new horizon lines, big water, fun runs, diversity, community, epic surf, friendship, clean lines, celebration, humbling beat downs and general stoke.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Mut, sitting here agreeing with you more than ever. That BDP post went viral including FB and it's all folks are talking about. With all the crazy comments and ridiculous banter on that post...our community is looking pretty divided. I wonder what outsiders must think?
Makes me wonder about a lot of things.
Old 10-29-2012   #3

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Creature Craft thread was referenced on Reddit in an AMA, most of the people on Reddit that posted were curious and had positive feedback. I saw the title and readied for some flaming but found virtually no flamage.

IAmA Professional whitewater rafting guide and extreme boater, AMA. : IAmA
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
Nice work Buzzards. In the past couple of weeks you have been able to create two posts that have 295 comments and 44,500 views. Too bad those two posts make the whitewater community look like a bunch of bozo's. If this keeps up the admins should change the site to www.mountainbuzzkill.com.

Wouldn't it have been epic if those 44,500 views were of a thread that spoke of all the great things about the river? Things like adventure, new horizon lines, big water, fun runs, diversity, community, epic surf, friendship, clean lines, celebration, humbling beat downs and general stoke.
I agree 110%...but until you create that super awesome thread your just bitching about other people's posts.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #5

The problem is the cool stuff on the forum doesn't trigger discussion. The Stikine video that was posted today is one of the coolest video's I have seen in a while. Content like that is the reason I come to mountainbuzz too often.

That said there isn't much to say about it other than the fact that it is a sick video documenting an amazing place. I haven't run the Stikine so I can't comment on the lines or the water level (although its funny to think of that being low water). I bet a lot of people are like me, and the only response they have to that video is "awesome." For that reason, in a few days that thread will be gone and the BDP thread (or worse the Grand Canyon dog thread) will still be here. Its sad, but the trade off is we get cool kayaking content every once in a while, but we have to wade through posts about high school kid parties and cooler physics to find it.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I think that the post was good for the buzz. It brought so many people out of the woodwork to comment, along with some pro's and some worldly insight.

BDP, does not deserve the attention though, and thankfully it all reflects poorly on them, i do not think they will benifit from that post, that much i can be thankful for.

It brought up good points elsewhere, and i enjoyed reading it.

I wish mike had not been attacked outright, and a few more people stood up for the long time members and contributors of the mtn buzz community.

I learned a lot, more than just what the thread holds.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #7

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Life is what you make it.

Livin'.
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here's a thought, what if we got all facebookish and made the option to like a thread. Lots of likes would equal a thread staying on top of the page. It would be perfect for posts like the Stikine video. It would help content that the community "likes" stay relevant and visible.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #9

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Here's a thought, what if we got all facebookish and made the option to like a thread. Lots of likes would equal a thread staying on top of the page. It would be perfect for posts like the Stikine video. It would help content that the community "likes" stay relevant and visible.

Or like Reddit where we could up or downvote threads and make them stay on the front page or disappear quickly.
Old 10-30-2012   #10

Goshen, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I think that the post was good for the buzz. It brought so many people out of the woodwork to comment, along with some pro's and some worldly insight.

BDP, does not deserve the attention though, and thankfully it all reflects poorly on them, i do not think they will benifit from that post, that much i can be thankful for.

It brought up good points elsewhere, and i enjoyed reading it.

I wish mike had not been attacked outright, and a few more people stood up for the long time members and contributors of the mtn buzz community.

I learned a lot, more than just what the thread holds.
They deserve whatever attention they can get. Kayaking is apparently the chosen sport of pearl clutching, whiners.
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote