2015 NFSP Roberts Tunnel flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
2015 NFSP Roberts Tunnel flows

Hey Buzzards!

Crazy year for Bailey and Roberts Tunnel. This will go down as one of the all time low tunnel years. On the flip side, Bailey was huge during runoff. Never ran deer creek rapid that high before this year. Love it!

Denver Water has bumped up the tunnel to 100 cfs today. Late summer demand is finally getting tunnel flows moving. Not enough to paddle though.

Denver Water mentioned that they are looking to do a power plant test on the Roberts Tunnel hydro plant facilities. They noted that they may bump flows to 250-275 for a day maybe 2 to test the facilities. They think it could be some time in september, but don't have a date yet. Keep your eyes on the gauge. Could get a late season bailey day in before this season wraps up.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for the update, Ian. I drove by Dillon yesterday and it's incredibly full for Labor Day. Any indications that they may move any water down toward Green Mountain Res?

Thanks for keeping the beta flowing!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
Good question Andy. Spoke with DW again about this. No real answers and lots of variables. They do have to pull down dillon levels before winter sets in. Not sure if its going down the blue or the tunnel. The volumes they have to move over the time they have to move it could pretty easily be done with small cfs flow rates that wouldn't translate into boatable flows. I'll keep this in mind as I communicate with DW over the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
Now that we've missed raspberry season, if they could time the release to coincide with peak fall colors, I wouldn't mind doing some Bailey leaf peeping.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Good question Andy. Spoke with DW again about this. No real answers and lots of variables. They do have to pull down dillon levels before winter sets in. Not sure if its going down the blue or the tunnel. The volumes they have to move over the time they have to move it could pretty easily be done with small cfs flow rates that wouldn't translate into boatable flows. I'll keep this in mind as I communicate with DW over the next few weeks.
Bailey is the better paddling option and I hope they can release out of the tunnel. However, if they do decide to push to green mountain getting a release that would make the upper blue runnable would be a good alternate win. Your ninja'ing with the DW has been a service to the community, thanks again.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015   #6

golden
up and up?

Are they going to keep bumping up the flows? At ~160 now.
Old 09-14-2015   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Worried it's starting to get too high Mike? Looks like the tunnel has been steady at 100 for a while now: Detail Graph
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015   #8

golden
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Worried it's starting to get too high Mike? Looks like the tunnel has been steady at 100 for a while now: Detail Graph
Opps must of been blind optimism when I saw it in Bailey yesterday I thought there must be more than 100 in there. Guess not.
Old 09-14-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Talked to Denver Water today. They think that they will bump up the tunnel later on this week by around 50 cfs +/-. That would put about 200 total in the north fork. Too low for me, but you wouldn't be the first to paddle it that low.

No work on timing of the hydro test yet. When they test they will release water for 1-2 days that could be 250 or so, so 300 in the river, which is enough for me. I'll keep tabs on the plans, but keep checking the gauge in case they jump on it.

Has anyone been down to bear creek now that its super low to scour it for lost gear?
Old 09-18-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Denver water bumped up the tunnel to 150 cfs yesterday. They told me today that they plan on bumping the tunnel up to 200 cfs tomorrow (sat) morning. That would put flows at the bailey gauge at around 240 cfs. I paddled bailey at 240 cfs during the drought and consider that my personal min. There are prob some mank hounds out there that will go in and get it. According to Denver Water, then plan on holding the 200 cfs flow for a week or two... with the caveat that precip or demand changes could change that.

No word on hydro test schedule. Hydro test will likely bump up the tunnel to 250 (300 in the river total) and will last for a day or so.