2013 FIBArk Events and Prizes - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2013   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
2013 FIBArk Events and Prizes

Fellow paddlers,

Happy summer!! America's oldest and boldest whitewater festival - FIBArk! - is coming soon to the beautiful Arkansas River valley, which means an extensive line-up of river and land event competitions, including:

Whitewater Slalom Age Group National Championships
Pine Creek Race
Pine Creek to Eddyline Downriver Race
Byran Dreher R2 Sprint
Raft Rodeo
Tenderfoot Hill Climb
REP River Run-Off
Freestyle Competition
Slalom Race
SUP Freestyle, Cross & Downriver
Hooligan Race
Downriver Race

REGISTRATION FOR ALL EVENTS IS AVAILABLE HERE

Find a full schedule and details at | America's Oldest and Boldest Whitewater Festival | Salida, CO | America's Oldest and Boldest Whitewater Festival | Salida, CO!

Some events will change in format or date this year...noticeable changes include:

1) Whitewater Slalom Age Group National Championship will be held as a separate race this year on Wednesday, June 12th from 10 am to 1 pm. Register here.

2) The competition formerly known as the "Boater X" has been renamed the "Pine Creek Race" and will vary in format from year to year. This year, the format will be a sprint race through Pine Creek Rapid. The winners for 2013 will be determined on the fastest time through the rapid, and the Boater X format will wait for another year.

3) ALL registration will take place online. You can do this now at home, or on your smart phone at the festival, or at FIBArk's registration table on FIBArk's computers on-site. All bib pick-up and waivers will be available at the registration table at the FIBArk Boathouse.

4) The Freestyle competition for CADETS has been moved to Thursday, June 13th at 2 pm at the Boat Ramp Hole.

5) A downriver race from Pine Creek to Buena Vista has been added on Thursday, June 13th; it's called the "Pine Creek to Eddyline Downriver Race". This is a team race with safety regulations; find more info here.

6) There's a new land/river competition called the REP River Run-Off with an awesome cash prize! Find info here.

7) Speaking of cash prizes, here they are!

Can you feel the FIBArk love?!? It's in the air here on the Arkansas, and we can't wait to see you soon!

SYOTR,
Alli Gober, FIBArk Secretary and River Events Director

"Snow melting fast, and the river it became in the spring time..."

k1wslalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Is there gonna be a swap at all? never been to fibark coming this year!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't recall there ever being a swap at Fibark. There isn't even a paddle shop in Salida.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013   #4

salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper42 View Post
Is there gonna be a swap at all? never been to fibark coming this year!
Are you looking to buy a kayak? If so I got two for sale?
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #5

Salida, Colorado
There's no swap, but lots of people sell their gear unofficially at the boat ramp. If you're looking for new, CKS in Buena Vista will sell you pretty much whatever you need!
Old 05-26-2013   #6

Salida, Colorado
A 70 foot Ferris Wheel, free music all weekend and the Hooligan Race Saturday night. Who could ask for more?
Old 05-26-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1wslalom View Post
A 70 foot Ferris Wheel, free music all weekend and the Hooligan Race Saturday night. Who could ask for more?
I have enjoyed many years of Fibark fun, but this statement is exactly what I don't like about the festival. IMO you should be promoting the slalom races, downriver races, freestyle competitions, Pine Creek race and (sigh) even the SUP events. The other stuff mentioned is what makes Fibark a carnival instead of a river festival. Haters flame on, but I know I am not alone in this train of thought. I like what originally got Fibark started, the downriver. A lot of the people who attend the "festival" forget that.
Old 05-26-2013   #8

Breckenridge, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I was very disappointed you only have 12 booths available for vendors
paddleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Admins can we make this one sticky please as the official FIBArk thread? Thanks

Before some of these comments get off topic, I will respond as a Board Member for this years festival.

Alli's post is 99% promoting our river events and a small blurb about the music and carnival. FIBARk is a river festival, with live music and a carnival. That will most likely not change any time soon. Next to the GoPro games in Vail we pay out more money in prizes than most festivals, and offer a wide selection of river and land events. Things like a carnival, live music, and even beer sales are necessary to support our hefty budget. FIBARk has also become the biggest summer event in Salida, and it is looked forward to by many locals who do not paddle. We have a need and a desire to offer something for everyone.

This years board of directors has gone to great lengths to make FIBArk more about boating and less about partying. Music was carefully selected to be more family friendly. We also added more river events and increased overall prize money for the river events. Eddyline brewing is our new title sponsor and they are 100% on board with our new philosophy. The owners are raising a family in this valley, and they want their brand to be associated with family fun and recreation in the valley, not drunken debauchery. We are so happy to have Eddyline on board for the next three years, and excited about the new direction of FIBArk. We hope you all are too. See you all soon!

Tom
FIBArk Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Glad to hear you are moving back towards river oriented events. The last half dozen years have been going the other direction. Although the carnival atmosphere brings more money to the community, I would honestly tell you that way more Salida locals actually leave town during Fibark than you might think. I personally make more money by having Fibark too, but sheer numbers should not be the driving force behind it.

I know at least one raft racing party that has won somewhere around a dozen times, but no longer wants to participate, because the event no longer represents the ethics and river stewardship he feels it should.

The addition of Eddyline as the sponsor is imo the best thing Fibark has done in a decade. I tried to stoke this fact as soon as I found out: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...sor-45997.html
Mic, Brian, Ryan and the whole Eddyline crew are just plain awesome. I raced with them today in the Paddlefest Race to the Grill.

I hope to see more boaters and less of the party scene this year.

Thanks for all the work you guys put in. I know it's not easy.