2010 Subaru Forester as a kayaker's car? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-13-2009   #1

Northfield, Massachusetts
2010 Subaru Forester as a kayaker's car?

Well, they've gone and ruined the Outback as one of the cars of choice for kayakers (lots of threads on various sites about this). The new design of the racks prohibit carrying any more than two kayaks and aftermarket racks such as Thule and Yakima, although they can be used, can only have a spread of the crossbars of about 21 inches. If you need to carry longer boats such as seakayaks or even mountain bikes, as well as your whitewater boats, you know you need more than a 21 inch spread between the crossbars. I am in need of buying a new car relatively soon and was going to get an Outback, but now have to rethink this. Anyone out there have any opinions on the 2010 Forester? I've never had an SUV. Carrying multiple boats, such as creekboats, riverrunners, openboats or seakayaks can necessitate carrying them on their side. Can this contribute to the vehicle being more susceptible to rollover? I would also even be concerned about stacking shorter boats for the same reason. Any thoughts or any suggestions for another vehicle? I am only interested in a new vehicle so I would not consider a used Outback. Don't want someone else's lemon. Thanks.

k1c1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Find an 09 on the lot. My mom has a Forester and it has been good to her. It's fine to drive.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Tacoma.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #4

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
we have a forester - a 2005. it's a great car but not as spacious inside as you would think.

i had a tacoma but sold it and now drive a dodge 2500 diesel. i missed the tacoma for about 5 seconds after climbing in the diesel the first time. the diesel gets better mileage, can haul/tow way more stuff, and can easily fit 5 people and 6 if necessary. boats def would not be a problem. plus i'm running biodiesel.

the forester is a turbo, and if you don't watch it, you can drop the mileage pretty good by getting on the skinny pedal a little too much. i think my truck can do almost as good as the forester on mileage.
Old 11-13-2009   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I doubt a couple hundred pounds will contribute very much to roll-over potential on a vehicle that's 1.5 tons.

It's all in strappage.....you can get more than 2 boats on the outback. My buddy and I have put 5 on top of his (newer) model outback with factory racks.

Is the Outback reeeeaaaally that much different than the Forester??? If you're lookin' at an "SUV"....get a real SUV....consider a 4runner (with a V8!!!) or an Xterra, Trailblazer, Yukon, etc. etc.. Way more room on the inside with trailering potential.

If it's extra room/rack space you're looking for, why not go all out??? I know the Subi's aren't cheap.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #6

My Honda CR-V has been running strong for over 10 years and has been a great boaters car. I can carry all I need and importantly to me, the gas mileage is relatively good (great compared to SUV's). It has enough clearance to get to most of the places I want to get. That being said, not enough clearance to get up to say, the North Fork of the Crystal but plenty for acess to anywhere on the dirt roads around CB...and its been great in the snow. Also, the reliability is huge. Never a problem with the vehicle since I got it in '98 and it now has 180K on it.
Old 11-13-2009   #7

Boozebay Harbor, Maine
I've got an 09 base model, so it didn't even come with factory racks, but you can get thule feet that screw right into spots in the roof that have a pretty good spread. I've easily had the box full of skis, a bike or two and my boat on there, and could have gotten another boat without getting strap freaky.

Plus I can throw two riverplay boats inside the car with two of us in there for better milage/lazyness.

Got 25-29 mpg across the country at relatively quick speeds and a bunch of shit on the roof.
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 99
I've got an '09 Forrester (came off the assembly line and drove 6mi to the dealership) and I love it for boating. I'm w/ fenris (got the base model as well), the factory racks are unecessary since there are pre-drilled points for Thules,Yakimas, etc. It's got this awesome standard/auto transmission so you can change gears w/o pushing in the clutch, like a race car, so thats pretty nice for mountain driving. Plenty of room, I've slept two people w/ paco pads in the back. It gets between 18-28mpg usually. I think its 9in of clearance, and I took it into NF Crystal this summer. Its built on the Impressa chasis, so its narrow enough to move around on such roads, but a little more clearence may have been useful for that particular scenario. If you really want it to haul, get the turbo (226hp vs 196hp). The biggest downside is that I've been accused of having a "lesbian car."
mafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
We went from a Forester to an Xterra, from a lesbian car to a butch dyke car.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #10

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
get a van if you wanna carry that many boats. Or better yet an old school bus. . . I don't understand your rational about buying only new cars. That is totally hogwash. Your logic suggests that all used cars are lemons. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1c1w View Post
Well, they've gone and ruined the Outback as one of the cars of choice for kayakers (lots of threads on various sites about this). The new design of the racks prohibit carrying any more than two kayaks and aftermarket racks such as Thule and Yakima, although they can be used, can only have a spread of the crossbars of about 21 inches. If you need to carry longer boats such as seakayaks or even mountain bikes, as well as your whitewater boats, you know you need more than a 21 inch spread between the crossbars. I am in need of buying a new car relatively soon and was going to get an Outback, but now have to rethink this. Anyone out there have any opinions on the 2010 Forester? I've never had an SUV. Carrying multiple boats, such as creekboats, riverrunners, openboats or seakayaks can necessitate carrying them on their side. Can this contribute to the vehicle being more susceptible to rollover? I would also even be concerned about stacking shorter boats for the same reason. Any thoughts or any suggestions for another vehicle? I am only interested in a new vehicle so I would not consider a used Outback. Don't want someone else's lemon. Thanks.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote