2009 New Belgium FIBArk Whitewater & Music Festival June 18th-21st - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

View Poll Results: Will you be attending FIBArk this year?
Yes 28 82.35%
No 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009   #1

Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
2009 New Belgium FIBArk Whitewater & Music Festival June 18th-21st

With the Arkansas River nearing 1000 cfs its time to start making your plans to be in Salida, Colorado for the 61st annual 2009 New Belgium FIBArk Whitewater & Music festival held June 18th - 21st.

This year we have a few new events taking place during the weekend and all the usual favorites like the Pine Creek Boater Cross, Hooligan Race, and all the downriver races.

The music line up this year is great featuring The Groove Farmers, Mama's Cookin', Lubriphonic, Porter Batiste Stoltz with special guest Kyle Hollingsworth of The String Cheese Incident, Great American Taxi, Lez Zeppelin, and a special night-time show with DJ Logic!

Volunteering is a great way to show your support for the oldest and boldest whitewater festival. Volunteer for the weekend or for a day with many options to choose from. Jobs range from safety boating the Pine Creek Race to working the beer tent or helping with registration for the many events.

Volunteering as a safety boater for the Pine Creek Race waives the fee to enter the freestyle competition. Interested people should contact Annie or Kate

Check the FIBArk website at www.fibark.net for schedule of events, online registration, and contact information. Hope to see you on the Arkansas River in beautiful Salida, Colorado June 18th - 21st.

Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
FiBArk is always a good time...I was thinking a good way to kick off a long weekend was to head over to Breck's free "Riverwalk Town Party" Thursday before FiBArk:
Town of Breckenridge : Riverwalk Events Calendar : Town Party
from 4-9 pm, and the main act is literally the best live band I have ever seen/heard, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers!
Jukebox

Did I mention that it's free?!
See you at FiBArk!
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #3

My History of Whitewater Paddling Documentary will be showing on Friday and Saturday at the Steamplant. For a preview of the film, check out The Call of the River | Performance Video
kentford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009   #4

Denver, Colorado
What is the camping scenario in the area? Any free or cheap sites nearby? Am I SOL at this point in the game? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2009   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
FiBArk is always a good time...I was thinking a good way to kick off a long weekend was to head over to Breck's free "Riverwalk Town Party" Thursday before FiBArk:
Town of Breckenridge : Riverwalk Events Calendar : Town Party
from 4-9 pm, and the main act is literally the best live band I have ever seen/heard, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers!
Jukebox

Did I mention that it's free?!
See you at FiBArk!
or you could kick off FIBArk at FIBArk on Thursday night where there is also free live music, river events, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
What is the camping scenario in the area? Any free or cheap sites nearby? Am I SOL at this point in the game? Thanks in advance.
The best free camping close to Salida is Salida East. Salida East is the big field just east of town off of HWY 50, along the river. You can't miss it becuase there will be 800 other of your paddling friends posted up out there all week. I have no idea how soon it will fill up or what constitues full out there, but that is the spot.

looking forward to seeing you all in Salida!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
The best free camping close to Salida is Salida East. Salida East is the big field just east of town off of HWY 50, along the river. You can't miss it becuase there will be 800 other of your paddling friends posted up out there all week. I have no idea how soon it will fill up or what constitues full out there, but that is the spot.
That is exactly what I was looking for. A nice big field with lots of other boaters. Anybody entering the hooligan race? I think I might, but I dunno what I want to paddle just yet...
Old 06-15-2009   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Is there anyway to find out more about the events? The Fibark.Net site is pretty informationless. Just gives a schedule of all the events but no details. I was wanting more info about the following:

Running races on Sat morning
Holligan Race on Sat evening
Dog contests on Sun
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
[quote=Mike Harvey;147206]or you could kick off FIBArk at FIBArk on Thursday night where there is also free live music, river events, etc.

Yeah, when I posted this I didn't realize that the Groove Farmers or Mama's Cookin' were going to be playing Thursday...however I am still going to Breck because the music of RCPM is better than what I will hear at FiBArk, maybe I should talk to Annie about next years music line-up...Cheers to everyone, the festival should be a blast!
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #9

Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
Is there anyway to find out more about the events? The Fibark.Net site is pretty informationless. Just gives a schedule of all the events but no details. I was wanting more info about the following:

Running races on Sat morning
Holligan Race on Sat evening
Dog contests on Sun

These events are on and more information is in the Program Guide. Come to Salida and get one. Read it, learn it, love it, recycle it.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
I guess that is easy to do if I live in Salida, but I don't. Seems to be even more earth friendly to put the info on the net, and that way you wouldn't need to print as much. I applaud the philosophy of trying to reduce the impact of the festival on the local landfill. I guess I am on the fence about going to Fibark, and more info would help.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansa river, fibark, salida, whitewater events