2007 World Championship Predictions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2007   #1

2007 World Championship Predictions

This it, the biggest and best venue yet. Not since 1999, has kayaking's freestyle world championships been held on a wave. Canada's Ottawa River and the Buseater Wave will host the World Championships April 29-May 5. Air will be a serious part of the competition. Who can go the biggest and still stick it? Look for live updates from Paddlinglife.net throughout the comp.

In the meantime, our staff decided to put together a few predictions for you bracket heads out there. Check out who we picked by clicking below. Feel free to throw in your choices as well. We realize some of you aren't fans of playboating but this wave, and the athletes competing there, could change the course of competitive freestyle kayaking. Surf on people.

Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse.

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007   #2

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I just hope nobody tries to cheat and bring a Glide to the comp.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #3

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
It probably won't be on Buseater considering that the level is only at 11feet. Mini Bus doesn't come in until 16.5 feet and big bus until 23 feet. Regardless, I'm sure it will be at held at a very sick spot considering that it's on the Ottawa. Stephen Wright is defiantly one of today's best and most underrated playboater. He defiantly has a very good shot of taking it.
-Christian
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007   #4

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
As was pointed out elsewhere: Stephen Wright is very talented and would have a shot at winning it all, except we ain't on the team...

That right there shows how deep the talent pool is in the US.

Regarding the levels on the Ottawa, it is a big river with a huge drainage, and it has been precipitating up there as of late. Add to that the fact that the organizers have an agreement with the upstream dam operators, and there is a pretty good chance that Buseater will be there for the comp. It just remains to be seen which version of it. Also, FYI Buseater is there (surfable as a wave) from 15' to some ungodly level that hasn't been seen yet. They're hoping for MiniBus, but might get Big Bus. If that happens, commence swim practice!
Old 04-24-2007   #5

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
We will have updates at the Team Dagger - Welcome site starting Saturday. I am headed Friday to do the announcing so I will get a ton of photos and information. I will get way more then just about our team but rather more about Worlds. This is the first one I have been to so im excited to see the whole atmosphere.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post
As was pointed out elsewhere: Stephen Wright is very talented and would have a shot at winning it all, except we ain't on the team...

That right there shows how deep the talent pool is in the US.
it also show how dumb the selection process is when the reigning national champ is not on the team...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #7
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
well i mean he could have been on the team if he had thrown down at u.s team trials but he didnt quite make it,the selection process is fair, he just should have done better at team trials
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #8

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Speaking of people who aren't able to compete and would have a good chance of winning. There is this kid, don't know if you have ever heard of him. Patrick Chamblin. Ya. He flushed on one of his rides at Canadian team trials. Didn't make the team. Regardless of all of your EJ, and Stephen talk (Not saying they won't kick ass on this wave) but watch a YGP video and try and tell me with a straight face that you don't think Patrick would win. He tried to get Jamacian Citizen ship just so he could compete on his home feature (You can read a bit about it in the current Kayak Session). The kid owns that wave.
Old 04-25-2007   #9
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
however i see your point, i feel that patrick camblin cannot throw tricks as consistently, and as often as ej or stephen. when you watch a ygp movie, you see just the good tricks, not the entire ride, remember that is what counts, not if you can throw one huge trick. it will be interesting to see how ej and stephen adapt to buseater, the point that it is pat camblin's home wave is very valid, i agree
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #10

The next zone, .
I was just wondering how much $ goes to the winner of this. Braggin rights + how much cash = a national champ.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote