1938 Grand Canyon French Connection - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2012   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
1938 Grand Canyon French Connection

Hi all, there's an awesome 2 minute clip about the 1938 DeColmony DeSeyne Green River WY to Phantom Ranch trip. If you haven't seen this already, check it out:

Yours, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012   #2

But the French are assholes Loyd!
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
One of the cool things about this trip is they hiked their boats out of the Canyon at Phantom, and took their boats back to France. In WWII, one of the boats they used rescued an American as part of the French resistance, and the boat is to this day on display in a French military base museum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tom,

Pretty cool nostalgia.You caught my attention with the title i love the film and the French Connection 2 was one of the few sequels that was as good as the first picture.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I want to see that film! They are using "Fold Boat" kayaks, which were pretty popular in the 30s and 40s. A neighbor of mine had one hanging from the ceiling in his garage for years while he tried to figure out how to make a new skin for it.

There is a great river book, "An Innocent on the Middle Fork" by Eliot Dubois telling the story of his solo run down the Middle Fork in a Fold Boat in the early 40s on very high water.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Wow! Very cool! Zee Grant took one of these through Grand Canyon on a Norm Nevills trip two years after the DeColmont trip. He portaged a number of the rapids, and it wasn't until 1960 that Walter Kirshbaum would run them all in his "new" fibergalss yakak. All the best, tom
Old 02-02-2012   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
One of the cool things about this trip is they hiked their boats out of the Canyon at Phantom, and took their boats back to France. In WWII, one of the boats they used rescued an American as part of the French resistance, and the boat is to this day on display in a French military base museum.
Wow - great history. Thanks for sharing the info. When the film is out, will you spread the news?
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Absolutely!
Old 02-06-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
I want to see that film! They are using "Fold Boat" kayaks, which were pretty popular in the 30s and 40s. A neighbor of mine had one hanging from the ceiling in his garage for years while he tried to figure out how to make a new skin for it.

There is a great river book, "An Innocent on the Middle Fork" by Eliot Dubois telling the story of his solo run down the Middle Fork in a Fold Boat in the early 40s on very high water.

Several years ago I was sitting at camp on the Middle Fork. A fellow was reading "An Innocent on the Middle Fork", which he picked up in Stanley on our way to the put in. Suddenly he said; "hey, do you know a Stewart Gardiner?" That is my father.

The book was out of print, but the shop in Stanley still had one in stock, so I drove up to buy it (from SLC). Until I read Eliot's book I had no idea my dad attempted to run the Middle Fork with Eliot. It was too intense for my dad, so he abandoned the trip. But the book is well worth reading - a fascinating story.

Tom Martin recently posted a link (with my permission) to a short video I just put together telling one story from my dad's very first river trip - a solo trip through Lodore Canyon in 1938. He ran the river about 3 weeks after the French trio. I don't know if he knew about the French explorers prior to the trip or not, but he did stay at some of the same campsites they did (prior to the "take only pictures, leave only footprints" era).

In case you haven't seen my video yet, here is the link. It isn't nearly the same quality as the French trailer, but it is a fun piece of our family heritage...

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote