Some guy broke the record for being under water. Makes me look bad

Gallery | Underwater record | accessatlanta.com

15 mins+

Scott

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #2

So what's the trick? Super-efficient cardio system? I don't get how this is possible.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
long breath

deep deep meditation, and shit load of practicing and conditing especially the brain, pschologically and physically.

the brain needs oxygen and thus deep meditation involves less voluntary muscles movement. the oxygen needed is used in the brain rather than in the limbs
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007   #4

Seattle, Washington
that boy needs to start kayaking
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #5

Bozeman, Montana
world champion squirt boater

damn if i had lungs like that i'd be the worlds best squirt boater
Old 08-10-2007   #6

Low Oxygen Environment

Sounds like with all that practice, fella probably has an IQ of 15.
msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
deep deep meditation, and shit load of practicing and conditing especially the brain, pschologically and physically.

the brain needs oxygen and thus deep meditation involves less voluntary muscles movement. the oxygen needed is used in the brain rather than in the limbs
So if I can attain a deep meditative trance while getting trashed in Tunnel, I'll be fine? Sweet! Guess I'd better start training. Who wants to run Gore this weekend?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #8

Golden, Colorado
have you ever hyperventilated yourself before holding your breathe? try it sometime, it'll add lots of time to your hold. just gotta make it past the initial shock factor and then it's smooth sailing for a while (minute.. minutes??)
Old 08-10-2007   #9

Bozeman, Montana
until you swallow your tongue

not everybody is as confortable with being under water as some are. and if your in swimming in tunnel you better not be meditating you better fucking be trying to get deep! ahhah if you do slow your heart rate, you can stay under water longer becasue you using less oxygen has been proven! but seriously it takes years of conditing to beable to go under for more than a mintute or two! once oxygen deprevation kicks in you are toast!
Old 08-10-2007   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I've done about 1.5 minutes in a hot tub after hyperventilating. After that amount of time, panic set in as I couldn't control the urge to take a breath. I can't imagine the type of training needed to stay under 15 minutes would be good for you as it would probably kill brain cells, but so does drinking and other partakins. ("partakins" is a GW word meaning partaking in recreationals)
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote