$125 ticket at Ladore - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-22-2008   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
$125 ticket at Ladore

Just in case there's anyone out there who is thinking about floating the green above Ladore Ranger Station and taking out there...don't do it without an actual Ladore permit and something that the park service calls a "play permit".

Monday afternoon a friend and I ended a weekend float / fishing trip down from the flaming gorge dam. We met with a Park Ranger at LRS who informed us that what we were doing was actually illeagal....floating 1.5 miles into the national monument without a permit and then issued us two $125 tickets.

Before the trip we did a bit of reasearch and did not find any information indicating that a permit was needed to float down to LRS. After returning from the trip we did find the small print of this infraction under "2009 river information" on the Dinasaur National Monument website.

So anyhow...it pays to read the small print. FYI- the fishing sucked below section B.

sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Its spelled Lodore.....and illegal,not illeagal.

Yeah,i've always wondered about this. It does make (very)small mention of this in the Belknap guide. So do you need the play permit to go from the last boat ramp at Crook campground to the Lodore ranger station?
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Sorry 'bout yer ticket, and an expensive one at that... No big browns in the "C" section? I've done very well in there..
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
The 2009 boater info is actually pretty clear that boaters can only get a play permit for above Gates of Lodore if they hold a valid Lodore permit, but it's not clear where that begins. Southwest Paddler does state that boaters have to hold a Lodore permit to go below Brown's canyon (at the end of the "C" section). But who would know that if they weren't researching either Lodore permits or A,B and C section rafting?

Does that section even have a name?

Sorry about the ticket- you'd think a warning would be sufficient for a first time.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Sorry 'bout yer ticket, and an expensive one at that... No big browns in the "C" section? I've done very well in there..
Have you been in their since the fire? I've worked it hard and will get bigger fish than anywhere else on the river, but it seems like four hits in a day is a good day. Everyone has a 2 in front of it though.

The tickets seem a bit over the top. Especially when you consider it is not a very scenic bit of the river. I guess they figure in that desert environment any impact will take years to correct
Old 10-22-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I guess they figure in that desert environment any impact will take years to correct
Or they just want the revenue.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #7

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Revenue is part of it. The NPS is hurting just like all the other agencies, state or federal. But especially now toward the end of the season, they have likely issued so many warnings and tickets that they don't think twice about giving out more. Plus every ranger is different, senior rangers may give warnings, first years may give tickets.

Still though, for a 1.5 mile section seems extensive.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
This is the first I've heard of a permit needed for this section. What a crock.......and a POS that thought that one up!!!!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
As far as I can tell you would be able to take out at the last boat ramp above Lodore since the DNM is only about 1.5 miles north of the LRS. All of the boat ramp / camp sites looked like BLM to me...lots of hunters and stone fire rings.

As stated before you do need a Lodore permit and a play pass to boat this 1.5 miles?? the description is vague.

We did ask for a warning...but our newish looking ranger said he was letting us off for not wearing our PFDs floating into Lodore.

Anyway...I just wanted to give others a heads up.

as for the fishing...it was good up to section C...then nothing. Others we saw on the river reported the same thing. The water was crystal clear and what was actually cool was that we saw schools of hundreds of white fish and suckers plus one monster pike. Below section C the river bottom was completely sand with no structure to it at all.

Swallow canyon below swinging bridge was pretty...but after this ordeal I don't think I'll ever do it again.
sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Red Creek Canyon can pump a lot of silt into the lower "B" section and below. Guess it's deteriorated since I was last there. Back then, "C" had some decent structure and some huge browns. While the action wasn't nearly as reliable as the upper sections... there weren't any other boats either. The solitude was nice. My buddies and I talked about floating "C" and continuing on to the Lodore put-in. Given your expensive experience, glad we didn't!
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote