10.5 Hyside bucket boat, oar rig down the Grand...? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-14-2008   #1

10.5 Hyside bucket boat, oar rig down the Grand...?

would you do it?

will it trash my boat?

do you know where I can find a powerful, solar-powered bilge pump....or maybe even an electric bilge pump that will last long enough to get me through the longer rapids? what brand is best?

Chrisakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
sounds fun. Look through the westmarine catalog or website for bilge pumps. None of them are rated for silt, but it should still last for way more than one trip. Wrap it in a sock to help filter it. Make sure you get a deep cycle battery that can handle full discharge.

Customize a small rocket box with a 12v socket or 2 that you can charge or plug into.

They also have some pretty stout hand cranking pumps.

Make the hose long enough so you can throw it over board to filler up before big drops.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'd say that's way too small.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I thought the accepted wisdom is the smallest that should do the Grand is a 14'. I would expect the 10.5' to be swallowed and eaten alive at some point on the Grand.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #5
EZ

Depends on You

It all depends on you and what you want. I was on a trip where two guys R-2 paddled a Puma and only flipped when they were going for the meat and realized that flipping was likely. When they wanted to stay upright, they did.

I think that rowing that small boat would be a lot of fun, with the right mind set. That is: I am gonna flip a few times, no big deal. If it is a big deal, then that boat is too small.

With that small of a boat, you could make some pretty cool lines. Like maybe the Dory Slot at Lava, or splitting the Horns at Horn Creek, or fully left at House Rock between the wall and the bottom hole. Who knows, the sky's the limit!
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
I ran the horns with an 18' boat, and also the left line at Lava. It was not high water at Lava, but at Horn it was. Horn was my favorite rapid!

I still think it is too small. You will flip, probably multiple times. That is a pain in the ass to the rest of the folks on the trip, dealing with your carnage, reflipping, etc, etc. The water is cold and swimming has real risks.

I think you'd be like a pin ball in a pin ball machine. That may sound fun, and would probably be on a day trip, but not for 18-21 days if you become a burden on the rest of the trip.
Old 08-16-2008   #7

Salida, Colorado
if you can put all your gear on another boat...

could you right it by yourself after a flip? Empty except for a small day cooler I'd think you could avoid most of the gnar.
Old 08-16-2008   #8

Do it!!!!!!

On my first trip thru the ditch in '85, my uncle rowed an 11' raft. No flips or swims. He ran it all and cheated wherever possible. No issues. Go for it--why no?
rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #9

Awesome - Thanks for Info

I will check out Westmarine and take it down Westwater...then decide
Chrisakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #10

at my house, Montana
But why do you want to take the sneak routes? Use a big boat and hit everything right on! The drop at Horn, the wave at Hermit, on and on and on. Do you really want to forego those just to take your small boat?

Tags
grand canyon bucket boat