18' Briggs-style Dory - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-15-2019   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
18' Briggs-style Dory

Do you want a dory and a project?

I bought this 18' Briggs-style dory in Spring 2019 from the couple who built it in 2015. They ran it down the Grand in 2015 (where by some odd chance of fate I crossed paths with them at Crystal and Upset) and then I bought it, added some improvements and ran it down the Grand this summer (where I ran across one of their friends). It was flawless on all fronts, with exception of somehow (I might have some insight) going inverted on Crystal under my watch, where she hit a boulder on the top of her bow post just above the island. (The hole in Crystal is shown in the pics - you can probably sort out which one sent us awry.) A little bit of duct tape got us through the next day, then we added some boards and screws and ran the rest of the river with no problems. She's a great boat. Tight hatches. Great build. Wet Dreams pads for passenger and oarsman seats. Comes with two sets of wood oars, one set still needs wraps and stops. The dory will need some work forward to re-epoxy the plywood to the bow post, the forward deck to the sides, with the possible addition of some fiberglass. Gunnels will need some work.

Boat is $6,500.

The raft trailer with a roller, a 14' that is a few years old, is $1,500 extra. I will only sell the trailer separately if the dory is sold first.

The green trailer in pictures can be included for free with the purchase of the dory. It will need some work to be perfect, but I towed it from Montana to Salt Lake with another 18' dory on it and it worked well.

My preference is to only sell the dory to someone who sees it in person to fully assess the work needed.

I really love this boat, especially after running it down the Grand, but I have another dory (16') and don't need two at this time.
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...

Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Yeah, I want another dory, but like you don't actually need two big ones.

Was it originally from MT?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Yeah, I want another dory, but like you don't actually need two big ones.

Was it originally from MT?
The one for sale in my post if from Oregon. A few years ago I bought a different one from a guy in Montana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I may be interested, where are you located? How wide is it at the oarlocks? The attached pic says image broken, but I'm on the road right now and trying to view it on my phone...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I may be interested, where are you located? How wide is it at the oarlocks? The attached pic says image broken, but I'm on the road right now and trying to view it on my phone...
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was having trouble uploading pics to the MB post. You can also see them on the FB dory group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/239554752747953/

My post is now about 4 posts into the feed.

I can't remember the center-to-center measurement for the oarlocks.
Old 10-25-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Thanks. I can't tell a whole lot from the photos, is the ply split all the way down the bowpost, I see where you have bituthane or flex seal over it. The Gunnels don't look like they would present a problem, is the bow post intact?
Old 10-28-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Thanks. I can't tell a whole lot from the photos, is the ply split all the way down the bowpost, I see where you have bituthane or flex seal over it. The Gunnels don't look like they would present a problem, is the bow post intact?
That's Gorilla Tape, which surprised me by how well it worked. The ply is split from the bow post from top to bottom. Bow post seems to be sound, but slightly damaged on top where it hit the rock -- I figure sanding will smooth it and make it look fine.
Old 10-28-2019   #8

Salida, Colorado
Hey, thanks for the reply. That's a pretty involved repair, I'm thinking it's a tad beyond my current skillset, but am going to talk to a friend who is a lot better at those things than I am.

When my current grand rig Bears Ears took a hit to the chin in House Rock this year, I tried Gorilla tape, and it lasted a little while, I replaced it with the Flex Seal tape I bought on a whim at Wal Mart and that lasted 20+ days. The damage wasn't near what you have on Big Cottonwood though.
Old 10-28-2019   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Ain't no hill to a climber!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019   #10

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Ain't no hill to a climber!

And you sir are a much more skilled woodworker than I am.. I think I would rate myself right between a rank novice, and a complete novice, but I did help build a boat, did a lot of the work, and understand the scarfing process. I'm thinking to allow the boat to fair itself you'd have to go pretty far back with the repair, likely to the first rib, and on both sides depending on what the ply would look like when you peel it back from the bow post, but I'm not sure.

If there were an easier way, I'd be all ears as I'm really interested in this boat, then I'd have an 18 footer, a 16 footer and a 14 footer, a regular fleet of boats. Wish it wasn't all the way in Salt Lake...

My wife will kill me.....