Mountain Buzz banner

southern ut, zion?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·
Anyone know how the virgin and any other south utah runs are shaping up for early april this year? will be driving to zion area early april this year, and have always wanted to get on the zion narrows. assuming there is water, would the fremont or anything else in the area be worth trying to get on?

thanks

#2 ·
Hey steven, I'm keeping a sharp eye on the lower Freemont for an early season run. The section I'm looking at the class 2+ from campground to waterfall. Also might catch the Sevier from big rock candy mnt. to Hwy 119. Also looking at the chute of Muddy Creek. Got a group of 3 to 4 of us from Montrose going somewhere soon. My contact is 970-497-6512 if you want to keep in touch.

#3 ·
We started strong this wateryear and had 170% snowpack until January but then we became unseasonably warm and dry. We are down below 80% without many storms forecasted anytime soon (last I checked). The South end of the Markagunt (feeds Deep Creek, the main flow for the Narrows) still has some deep snow but is melting fast. Use the Kolob or Midway gauges for estimates.

Wouldn't hold my breathe but worth keeping an eye on.

Phillip

#5 ·
whats a good base flow for the fremont?
does anyone know what the current cut-offs for the zion narrows are?
any other day runs along or near ut 12 I should check out?
will be driving from moab to st. george in the next few days-

thanks!

#6 ·
North Fork has to be over 151 for 24 hours but can't exceed 599 for 24 hrs. Then and only then will the NPS issue a permit for the narrows.

We need AW to get all over this. The NPS is basically making it impossible to boat in Zion. This is a boating treasure when it actually runs. But it has wild swings that make it impossible to get a permit with the 24 hr. stipulation.

I was just there and wanted to run from the temple down to the Visitor center but the flow was 10 CFS low and they wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#8 ·
Low cutoff actually has something to do with some endangered fish or something along those lines. THey set the low cutoff to basically eliminate tubing in the park. It used to be a line of tubes all over in the river at low water in the summer during the 90's. They were destroying banks and disrupting fish habitat. It took some strong work by a local group of boaters to get any access to the river...it was pretty close to going the way of kayaking in Yellowstone.

#10 ·
From the Sup's Compendium:

Watercraft use in all watercourses in the park, to include the Virgin River, requires a permit and must meet
the following conditions:
Zion National Park 2015 Superintendent’s Compendium
 The types of watercraft permitted must be specifically designed and manufactured for whitewater
use.
 Operators must be equipped with USCG-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs).

CFS limitations: The above watercraft will be allowed by permit only on the North Fork of the Virgin River during periods of the year when the flow in the river exceeds 150 cubic feet per second (cfs) at USGS stream gage
09405500 (North Fork Virgin River near Springdale).

Permits will not be issued for trips north of the Temple of Sinawava when the flow in the river exceeds 600 cfs.

For trips involving any area north of the Temple of Sinawava, the level will be determined by the minimum or maximum flow for the 24 hours preceding the request for the permit. For trips involving any area south of the
Temple of Sinawava, the flow will be based on a current reading.

Recreational inflatable tubes are not allowed on any watercourses within the park boundaries.

Justification: While the use of watercraft is generally not considered appropriate, it is recognized that during certain times of the year and under certain conditions, runoff through the North Fork of the Virgin River makes floating this stretch of water a unique, challenging, and rewarding recreational experience.

During the busier visitation months, conflicts with other park users have indicated that watercraft use is not in keeping with the unique and spiritually refreshing qualities afforded by a quiet desert stream such as the North Fork of the Virgin River.

Rescue resources are limited to non-existent for areas north of the Temple of Sinawava at flows in excess of 600 cfs due to the extreme difficulty of the trip.

The Virgin spinedace spawning season is approximately from mid-March to July 1st. Water levels during significant runoff events in late spring would be high enough that spinedace would not likely be affected by the type of
watercraft mentioned above.

#11 ·
April has been generous to the headwaters of the Virgin through Zion NP. We have 6 feet of snow at Midway which puts us at about 145% for this time of year. We haven't seen this in a while. Kolob still has about 3 feet which is 100% of normal. We had an early season meltoff that has rebounded from recent precipitation and cold temps.

Virgin through the park is at permitable flows. Its currently at 196 cfs and seems to be staying strong.

Hope folks who are more skilled than I can enjoy this season in the park.

Phillip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.