Mountain Buzz banner

Newbie: Cataraft Transpot Bag?

Tags
bag cataraft
3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MountainMedic 
#1 ·
So, I'm a newbie, and have a probably dumb question: How do you transport your cataraft tubes un-inflated?

I put them in the center of the frame on the trailer, but found when I got to the put-in, a couple of rub spots on the tubes from contact with the frame during transport (from highway and dirt road vibration is my guess, an ammo can in the next compartment was likely the culprit, but the frame also should rub spots). I assume a bag of some sort to keep wear on the bag instead of the tubes? Large duffel maybe? Or is there something special?

Luckily, no puncture. Unfortunately, 1 or 2 small, but fairly significant wear spots, about the size of a dime. Would you put a patch on it just to be safe? Or leave it as is until it leaks? They are PVC tubes.... And, if patching, any tips for a first timer?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I use NRS boat bags. Both tubes would probably fit in one bag, but I got a bag for each tube to make it easier for loading. I've haven't had any wear on my tubes with these bags. I am careful about placement of the tubes in my trailer, and try not to put the tubes under heavy / sharp stuff as much as possible.
KJ

#4 ·
Tube Bags

Jacks Plastic Welding makes Cat boat bags, I have used two of them for years to protect my Aire Leopard tubes and zero problems.

Also have the large NRS boat bag for my Aire 143 self bailer and it works well..

JPW bags are solid and give 100 percent protection.

NRS bag are solid front and back with mesh sides which do let some air in.

Both good products.

#6 ·
We have boat bags (cordura nylon) which came with our boats, but I also make sure to put a tarp around/on top of them. Once I got a fair amount of wear on the boat with the bag, prompting the redundant protection of the tarp. I like the idea of the JPW bags, those must be bomber!

#9 ·
i have two "laundry" bags that I got at a dive shop. picture a duffle bag (top loading) that also has a full leangth zipper. work great. before that i just had 2 heavy cordurra bags. works just as well, but the zippers make it so much easier.

i'd patch the wear spots, structural integrity might already be an issue and if they aren't aire type bladder system, you could be in for a real bad day on the water.
for patching pvc tubes, go to the aire site or you tube. they have some easy to follow videos. would you rather patch them up in your garage, or on the side of the river? my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.